View Full Version : TDS reading???

Brent
06-15-2009, 09:24 AM
I got a TDS meter and did a test on the new to me RO and it was passing about 50-55 on well water. The little RO we have in the kitchen was 1/4 of that, like 12 or so. All I have been able to find on the site here is references to how much sugar an RO passes.

Anyone know what the TDS reading should be ?

KenWP
06-15-2009, 10:03 AM
In order to pass sugar through the membrane it would have to be higher. What is the TDS of the water before going through the RO. For household use you would want to remove more TDS then for syrup.

Brent
06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Ken

the well water was just under 500 PPM

KenWP
06-15-2009, 10:18 AM
You got way better water then mine. The last test recommended I didn't drink it because of cloriforms but the neighbour right next door also got the same report so we have ignored it because the town close by had the test done to cover their butts due to a new well they drilled . Walkerton seems to come to mind.

Brent
06-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Interesting you should mention that. The thread I had going on the GE Merlin mini RO's ties into this. The membrane in the Merlins was developed by Zenon in Oakville, Ont. GE bought them out. Walkerton bought a Zenon system to process their water after the big E-coli problem. I've got a spare GE unit now if you're interested.