PDA

View Full Version : Apple Cider?

MapleME
06-14-2009, 03:01 PM
A buddy of mine who I sugar with just moved to a house with a boat-load of apple trees which we are excited to pick and cider. Just wondering if anyone has any good information on cider press' in Maine- any good resources. I wonder if Umaine Co-op extension does anything with cider as they do syrup?

MapleMe

KenWP
06-14-2009, 06:01 PM
I have the plans for a hardwood cider press that's pretty simple. It uses a hydraulic jack for the force part. I am working on one for the fall myself . There are a lot of apples around my place also.

Clan Delaney
06-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Just like a sugarer to be thinking about the next season months in advance!

I built my own grinder and press a few years back. I'd call it a medium level production setup. The downside is that every time I pump the bottle jack on the press I'm scared $#!+less that the thing is all gonna explode at any moment from all the presure! I really need to build a new press from 4x4's.

Revi
06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
A friend of mine used to make apple cider syrup in our evaporator. It is an amazing pan cleaner. Boil apple cider down and it makes an amazing syrup.

It's another way to use the evap during the off season. You need to have a lot of cider, though.