PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations

Woody
06-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Can you guys give me your recommendations on plastic 5/16's taps. The ones for tubing and the ones for buckets? Are the stainless tree savers worth the money.

I've lined up more trees than I can tap and need to start getting the equipment together and building my cooker. I borrowed everything last year but sort of want my own stuff.

thanks alot for all the help

Hurdhaven Farm
06-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I used the blue plastic 5/16 bucket taps with zero problems. Stayed in well with no breakage.

dschultz
06-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Woody
I use the 5/16 tubing tap for by 5 gallon pails. I drill a hole at the top put the tap threw the pail and then into the tree and use it as a swing pail works great and saves time not having to take the pail off the tap and put it back on

Woody
06-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Sounds like the plastic taps are the way to go. All I have for buckets are 4 and 5 gallon and I was a little concerned that a good flow might be too much weight for the tap with a big hanging bucket. I was just planning on setting them on the ground and running a tube from the tap although I like the hanging bucket deal better.

I'm glad to hear the plastic works and I'll probably try that swinging bucket idea.

....hot and things are drying up around here now. Big clouds every afternoon but no rain. Rivers are low but the smallies are on the bite. Maple season is closer every day and still no cooker built or wood gathered. Too busy with tomatoes and chickens.........

thanks

Woody
07-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Woody
I use the 5/16 tubing tap for by 5 gallon pails. I drill a hole at the top put the tap threw the pail and then into the tree and use it as a swing pail works great and saves time not having to take the pail off the tap and put it back on

Howdy, can you tell me who makes those 5/16 taps your using and where the best place to buy them is? Also, can you recommend what kind of tubing I should use and where to get it.
I'm still waiting to see if I can get a loan for the evaporator. Hope it works out.

thanks,
woody

vermaple
07-20-2009, 07:50 AM
I recommend Leader 30P.

dschultz
07-20-2009, 08:26 AM
I get them form Roth Sugar bush in Cadott and I use the semi ridged tubing.
There's also Anderson's in Cumberland