PDA

View Full Version : hanna refractometer

mountainvan
06-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I just saw this in one of my wifes science catalogs. A lot cheaper than the atago or misco. I have used a hanna digital thermometer for several years and like it. I need a new refractometer too. here's the link to one site

http://www.cynmar.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=MHA36256

Dennis H.
06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
I also have seen this refractometer, I saw it in Maple News a few months ago and also saw it 1st hand at the NY Maple Canference in Jan. Very nice I thought and if I remember right it is made right here in the USA.

I would have bought it at the NY conference but ran out of money getting other stuff I needed more.

Brent
06-13-2009, 08:14 PM
At half the price I wouldn't spend my money on it.

I've been using a Misco/Marcland and the numbers are all over the map.
I think the amount of sand in the solution has something to do with the numbers being nonsense.

I do get good consistency when checking sap.

I still use an Accu-cup / hydrometer.

Teuchtar
06-16-2009, 06:21 PM
I bought the Hanna, and I'm happy enough with it.
The reading does drift, and gets bigger errors with hot syrup.
The reading continues to climb even when cool to room temp, I suspect thats because the syrup continues to loose moisture sitting in that small open cup.
I still only trust the hydrometer for the final finish, but I find the Hanna great for judging the trend of the syrup as it approaches final grade.
For sap and concentrate use, I agree its pretty much consistent. I use it a lot when checking the RO operation.