PDA

View Full Version : Which releaser

rbross
06-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I am shopping for a small mechanical releaser. Looking at a CDL or Bernard. Of the two which one is best? The CDL is rated for 750 taps and Bernard is good for 500. Thanks any suggestions on these units

Rich

Haynes Forest Products
06-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I have 2 of the double releasers and Love them Zero problems and Im not very easy on my equipment. They are $1400.00 each

Thompson's Tree Farm
06-10-2009, 04:35 AM
Rich,
I have no experience with the CDL releasers. I have 3 of the Bernard singles. Used 2 of them last year One for 850 Taps and the other for 1050 taps. They used to say they were good for 900 taps or something like that. I had no major problems. They have been known to "hang up" on occasion, but this has always been cured by a drop of mineral oil where the rod moves through the lid. My releasers are not under cover, they sit out in the weather.

vermaple
06-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I have no experience with single releasers but the catalog picture of the CDL looks like it would dump much quicker than the GB.

Dennis H.
06-10-2009, 08:38 AM
I was going to also ask this question plus one other if you all don't mind.

What is the difference between mechanical or electric releaser besides the obvious one being mechanical and the other electrical?

Which is better and under what conditions is one better than the other?

Thanks

vermaple
06-10-2009, 12:45 PM
No experience with electric releasers but let me give it a shot. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

A mechanical releaser operates with a float that shuts the vacuum in the receiver off so that it dump by gravity.

An electrical operates with probably a float switch that turns on a pump to pump the sap out of the receiver with the vacuum still on.

Haynes Forest Products
06-10-2009, 02:39 PM
A mach. releaser is powerd by the vacuum that sucks on the lines. If your out in a area without elec gas vacuum pumps run the system.
On a double releaser how fast it dumps is not important because as one tank is draining the other is filling. I wish my double bernard couldnt keep up the best I ever had was dumping every 49 seconds. on about 500 trees