PDA

View Full Version : Buddy sap

RUSTYBUCKET
06-09-2009, 08:13 PM
While rereading some information over in the candy section, I came across this. Its from a link on making Maple Cream.

Fermented Syrups usually can be heated to bottling temperature or higher, held at that temperature for a time (an hour or more) stirred occasionally, filtered, and bottled. The heating and “airing out” of such Syrup allows the alcohol which has formed in the Syrup to boil away. Alcohol boils at a lower temperature so holding it at 190 degrees will cause it to leave. The longer you hold it at that temperature, the less chance of an undesirable flavor or odor remaining. The brix may rise above 68 in the process, so recheck it with a hydrometer or refractometer.

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this on syrup made from end of season sap or buddy sap and if so, what were the results.

Thanks

Russ

KenWP
06-09-2009, 10:25 PM
What has alcohol and buddy sap have to do with each other. Buddy syrup smells bad enough with out heating it up any longer then necessary. Heating it would not get rid of the smell.

PerryW
06-10-2009, 02:35 PM
I agree w/ Ken. Buddy & Fermented Syrup are two entirely different things.

C.Wilcox
06-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I personally have never had to deal with either buddy sap or fermented syrup, but I would think that heating fermented sap to drive off the alcohol may not be all that productive. Alcohol is generated by the breakdown of sugars so that would suggest that some amount of the sugar in your syrup has been converted to alcohol and CO2. Depending on how far along the process was you may not get much in return for your efforts, but like I said, I've never seen fermented syrup so I guess I'm just speculating.