PDA

View Full Version : FDA $1000 Dollar Registration Fee

220 maple
06-09-2009, 03:33 PM
June 3 2009 Dr. Margaret Hamburg testified in front of a Congress sub-committee. Her proposal to solve all the food contamination problems is more inspections, the ability of the FDA to have total controll over recalls, and just for the fun of it a 1000 dollar registration fee for any food processing facility. I'm glad Maple Syrup is not a food product. LOL. I guess it's not so bad I will only need to raise my price per gallon by Five dollars retail to cover the fee. Sorry consumers you lose again.

Mark 220 Maple

jrthe3
06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
what is fine for not regestering

brookledge
06-09-2009, 08:18 PM
It wouldn't phase me one bit if the fine was 250. Some times the govt. isn't very bright about things. But if they are on top of it it would probably be outrageous like 2500 per day
Keith

Squaredeal
06-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Farms are exempt from this legislation as they are not considered food processing facilities.

Maplewalnut
06-10-2009, 11:25 AM
This post probably won't be very popular but the biggest risk I see in the maple industry as a whole is that it is not consistently regulated.

State requirements vary widely and in some there is no enforcment what so ever. But we all know you are free to sell to commercial suppliers from any state, province or back yard with no quality testing. I disagree that maple syrup is not a food product and the simple fact that it is all natural works against us in this respect. No chemical additives to keep bacteria levels down or mask any breaches in quality like other foods have. The latest food recalls are gross failures not little hiccups and that is the only reason they have garnered attention.

In my opinion, we to as a industry are only one publicized case of bad syrup away from fedral regulation. Inspections would probably start with the packers but you can be assured the days of dropping off syrup at bascoms dock and receiving a credit that day would be over. There would need to be a whole battery of documentation and testing that incoming syrup meets specifications. These tests cost money and manpower to run and that cost would be passed onto the little guy at the dock and so on and so on

Mike

Revi
06-10-2009, 12:19 PM
I am afraid that a $1000 registration would put us out of the business. The big guys would be able to pay it, but we'd just make less syrup and use it all.

I think it would be the same for a lot of small producers.

We decided not to go organic because it costs $100 a year for the certification.

$1000 would be any profit we could possibly make.

Haynes Forest Products
06-10-2009, 02:48 PM
If Bscoms started testing the syrup at the dock most likely they would sample it and quarintine it and then release the product into the bulk tanks. I would also think if you were licensed by the state you might fast track to the buyers. Make no mistake I dont like the government getting into my life but saying maple syrup isnt food then what is it?
If when I go to the dulk wholesaler and they want proof of my operation then so be it I passed. I think just like the dairy buisness you send of a bad batch of milk to the prosesser and it comes back that you caused a tank to get dumped its on your head.

KenWP
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
If I send hogs to market that have been medicated and before the withdrawl date and they test it and condemn them and if the meat got mixed with other pork I have to pay for that pork also and my license to ship pigs gets suspended untill I have proven I understand the proper withdrawls and my whole operation tests negative again. Usually takes a month or so and you end up with a lot of pigs you can't ship.

markcasper
06-10-2009, 04:48 PM
This is all about $$$$$$$. The government is flat broke and the radar is out for new funds. Just look at some of the legislation that is being kicked around at the present time.

This is all about control in the name of food safety. They don't want the small independent producer. Watch after they get this, it will be $5,000 a year, then $10,000 and so on.

red maples
06-10-2009, 06:30 PM
This time on the right thread!I was in the restaurant business for 20 something years.** In those years how things have improved, as far as food safety is concerned.* the statistics about food poisoning are Pretty scary.* And mike is right all states vary on laws in all aspects of food.In Mass. for ex there needs to be a person on the premisses at all time that has passed The "serve Safe Course.* A HACCP (Hazard analysis critical control points)* that tracks food through resaturants, wearhouses etc. Sanitation, time temperature charts, etc,etc.* To be totally honest I was a little surprised how little there was to it... I was expecting a board of health inspections what ever.*$1000 really isn't too bad for the big guys selling 1000's of gallons but you are right it will hurt the back yard hobbiest how does it because its fun and you can make a few bucks on the side!!!!This will definitely hurt the consumer the as stated before $3456, maybe $10 added to the price of syrup!!!

red maples
06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Did they mention if it would be per yer or a one time free??

pelz
06-21-2009, 03:26 PM
this is off the wisconsin maple syrup producers site

FDA Says Maple Syrup Producers Must Register Under New Food Bioterrorism Regulation

Facilities that manufacture, process, pack, or hold food as defined in a new federal regulation aimed at increasing regulations against the threat of bioterrorism in the nation's food/water supply also apparently apply to maple syrup producers, even though farm operations generally are exempt.

Apparently the FDA is concerned that the nation's maple syrup supply may be poisoned by an act of bioterrorism.

Under the regulation, registration must be made by December 12, 2003. The regulation, "Registration Of Food Facilities," is a clarification of the Bioterrorism Act, that the FDA published on October 10, 2003.

As explained by the FDA Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, "In the event of a potential or actual bioterrorism incident or an outbreak of food-borne illness, facility registration information will help FDA to determine the location and source of the event and permit the agency to notify quickly facilities that may be affected." (see website at www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fsbtac12.html).

Registration can be done online via the Internet, by completing a paper form, or by submitting to FDA a CD-ROM with relevant registration information, according to the FDA. Registration online can be attempted by going to www.cfsan.fda.gov/~furls/ovffreg.html, then click on "Login now" in the box labeled "How to Register a Food Facility Online," then click on "Login/Create Account," and proceed from there. The site might be busy, in which case you will see a note titled "We're Sorry!" and be asked to wait an hour or two before trying again.

aaa

The Following is from the FDA at www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fsbtac12.html

How often must you register? Registration is required only once for each food facility. However, required registration information must be updated if it changes.

What does the registration number mean? It means that the owner of the facility has complied with this rule by registering with FDA. Assignment of the number does not convey FDA approval or endorsement of the facility or its products.

Is there a fee for registration? There is no fee for registration or for updates of any registration.

How can a facility register? Registrants must use Form 3537 to register or update a registration. Facilities may register online via the Internet aw www.fda.gov/furls, which will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week, beginning October 16, 2003. This web site is available from wherever the Internet is accessible, including libraries, copy centers, schools, and Internet cafes. In addition to the online help registrants can access at www.fda.gov/furls, there is also an Online Registration Help Desk:

-- In the U.S. call 1-800-216-7331 or 301-575-0156.

-- From elsewhere call 301-575-0156.

-- Fax questions to 301-210-0247.

-- Email questions to furls@fda.gov

Beginning October 16, 2003, these phone numbers will be staffed on business days from 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time.

If a facility does not have reasonable access to the Internet, a paper copy of the form may be obtained from FDA by calling 800-216-7331 or 301-575-0156 or by mailing a request to: U.S. Food and Drug Administration, HFS-681, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20857, USA.

When the form has been filled out completely and legibly, it should be mailed to the above address or faxed to (301) 210-0247.

red maples
06-21-2009, 05:07 PM
good stuff thanks for the info

Thompson's Tree Farm
06-21-2009, 05:11 PM
When this regulation came out, we were told it applied to operations that were purchasing and repackaging syrup or making other products for sale from purchased syrup. We did not have to register if we were producing and selling our own product.

markcasper
06-22-2009, 02:39 AM
No.....this is not good stuff and yes you are correct in thats the way I understood it as well.

If you think that was bad, check out the following:http://naturalresourcereport.com/2009/06/new-federal-water-act-spells-trouble-for-oreogn-landowners/

red maples
06-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I know its not good stuff... but it good to know about this info so we can be up to date. That oregon article is pretty scary stuff. sorry side bar...I have moved up to wood loader from firewood chopper!!!

markcasper
06-23-2009, 08:07 AM
The bill is S787. Found a better article and its not just Oregon, rather federal and that being nationwide. Call your representatives NOW and tell them NO. This will be bad for all maple producers because what does sap consist of and where does it come from?

http://www.asmainegoes.com/content/urgent-major-landwater-grab-senate-epw-likely-vote-s787-thurs-may-14

firetech
06-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Folks I'm not very political but this one grinds me the wrong way House Bill 2749 has a lot the oppertunity of many problems for all of us syrup producers. It take the farm to consumer sales methods to a complete stop. They have a new defintion of a farm and the terms of on farms sales. Please take the time to read the following link and if you have a problem with it voice your opionion. The sponser of this bill are all lawyers sad to say 2 are from Michigan. http://www.ftcld.org/news/news-15june2009.htm

brookledge
06-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I tried the link but it didn't work for me.
Keith