PDA

View Full Version : Maple Covered Creme Brulee

Amber Gold
06-04-2009, 11:54 AM
When my wife and I went on our honeymoon we stayed at a B&B w/ attached restaurant outside of Montreal. One night we decided to get dessert there and I got a crème brulee. Let me tell you it was the best dessert I ever had. We ended up going back 2 more times…just for that.

I went home and decided to make. It took me 3 tries to get it to come out right…the hard part was getting the chocolate shell out of the ramekin in one piece.

Here’s the process:

Butter and flour eight 4 oz. ramekins.
Put them in the freezer
Once ramekins are ice cold melt 3 bars of Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler (pot half filled with water with a mixing bowl on top. Melt the chocolate in the mixing bowl…it keeps the chocolate from burning)
Once melted pull the ramekins out of the freezer and coat the sides and bottom of the ramekins with chocolate.
Put them back in the freezer
Make your standard crème brulee. It’s basically just heavy cream, lots of egg yolks, sugar and a vanilla bean.
Pull the ramekins out of the freezer and fill them with the crème brulee.
Put the filled ramekins in 1-2 baking pans and fill the baking pans ½ way up the ramekins with boiling water. The ramekins should not touch.
Follow the baking directions for crème brulee. It should be something like bake at 200 degrees F for 45-60 minutes
Take them out when done and put them in the fridge to chill.
Once chilled, heat a pot of water and dip the ramekins in the water for a few seconds to soften the chocolate. This will help release the shell from the ramekin.
Run a thin knife along between the chocolate and ramekin and dump it onto a plate.
Cover with your best maple syrup and serve.

I don’t caramelize sugar on the top of the crème brulee, but you can if you want.

Yes this is high in calories and fat, but I never said this was going to be healthy, just taste really good.

There is a process to this, but it is well worth the time invested in it. It’s also not a cheap dish to make, but it’s great for those rare occasions. Just made it last week while on vacation…came out great. One thing I need to fix is when pouring the crème brulee the top gets foamy and when it bakes, it gives it an off flavor and texture compared to the rest of the crème brulee...probably just skim it off or something.

Granted the only maple syrup is the topping, but there is some there. Maybe someone has a recipe for maple crème brulee. If so, I’d be interested in trying it out.

Enjoy

Josh

Arctic Art
06-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Maple Crème Brulee
● Ingredients
1 quart heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
½ cup sugar
9 egg yolks
⅓ cup High Acres Pure Maine Maple Syrup
Maple sugar for topping
● Preparation
Heat cream with vanilla bean and sugar on medium heat, while stirring, until sugar dissolves. Do not boil. Remove from heat and remove vanilla bean. Whisk egg yolks and maple syrup together. Slowly add cream to the egg mixture. Pour equal amounts of custard mixture into 8 individual ramekins. Place ramekins side by side in a roasting pan and fill with warm water half way up the sides of ramekins. Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 45 minutes, until custard is set. Cool in refrigerator until serving time. Before serving, sprinkle top of each custard dish evenly with maple sugar and run under broiler until sugar caramelizes. (You can also use a blowtorch to caramelize the sugar topping.) Remove and serve.

KenWP
06-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I like the part saying High Acres Pure Maine maple syrup. I have only had it once in my life and that was in Avon France.

tuckermtn
06-05-2009, 05:00 AM
Josh/AG - I think you should bring a sample to the maplehaulics meeting on the 14th...