PDA

View Full Version : Maple Cream Tips

Snow Hill Farm
06-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I know this subject has been covered a lot in the past but I'm looking for some last minute maple cream tips before I try it this weekend. I have done a lot of reading and understand the basic process but still have questions. Can you use a standard candy thermometer or is it better to use digital? If I am making a small batch starting with one gallon is it easy enough to hand stir after cooling or try dumping into a Kitchen-Aid mixer? Any other tips would be appreciated...

Thompson's Tree Farm
06-03-2009, 01:17 PM
My Mom always used a good candy thermometer. Just be sure to check the boiling point of water first. A digital is easier to read. A gallon is a bit much for a hand stirred batch. If we do a hand stirred batch, about a quart is enough.
Other hints:
Make sure the invert level is appropriate for cream.
Make sure that the syrup is cooled without being agitated at all until it is the appropriate temperature to stir.
Hope this helps

Snow Hill Farm
06-03-2009, 01:39 PM
So if a gallon batch is too hard to stir by hand will the Kitchen-Aid work? Also, roughly how long does a gallon take to boil to cream temp and roughly how long does the cooled cream need to be stirred until it is ready? Just so I can plan how much time I need....

KenWP
06-03-2009, 03:11 PM
You might kill of a kitchen mixer. if you read some of the post you will see where one fellow killed off 3 of his wife's mixers.

3rdgen.maple
06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Snow Hill Farm go to this link I have had great succes using there recipies www.massmaple.org/candy.html A gallon would be way too much to handle at once without a cream machine and you will burn out a kitchen aid mixer in a hurry. I would do a small batch to start until you get the hang of it. It would not be good if you ruined alot of syrup at once.

Snow Hill Farm
06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Well, my first batch of maple cream was a success! I used a half gallon of medium amber and it took 45 min. on low to reach 24 degrees above boiling water. I cooled in a sink of cold water and began stiring when it was at room temp. Probably took a half hour of stiring between my wife and I. Amazing how the color and texture turns. It was hard to stir but based on how it went I may try a gallon because it was a lot of work to only end up with 4 pounds of maple cream....

mountainvan
06-08-2009, 04:30 PM
the next batch you make add a tablespoon or two of the cream you just made to the syrup after it's cooled. it seeds the syrup and reduces the stirring needed. when I make the perfect maple cream I keep a pound to use as a starter for the rest of the summer/fall. all the batches turn out like the first perfect one.

sapman
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I made a whole gallon at once a couple weeks ago, by hand. I wouldn't do it if you were letting it cool like recommended, but I've been stirring once it cools to about 140 or so. Turns quicker, and the consitency has been quite good. This was recommended on the NY maple tour last summer, though it's not all that popular with the experts.

Tim

Snow Hill Farm
06-09-2009, 07:54 AM
That's really interesting about "seeding" and I'll have to try it. I made a batch last night starting with a gallon and while it was difficult (because it cooled to 70 deg.) I got it done! Must be putting up all my firewood lately has given me extra arm strength. Now I hope it all sells at the Farmers Market I'll be in this Friday! It's amazing how stiff the cream gets once it turns opaque and it's a little difficult getting it in the containers. Am I stiring too long? I have been stiring until just after it gets really easy and runny, then it sets up quick. Thanks for all the advice on here!

mountainvan
06-09-2009, 08:34 AM
when my maple cream gets too thick to pour into the containers I heat it up just a little, low heat, so it pours easier. With selling I've found putting 6 "empty" cream containers on the table vs one or two full ones sells more cream. People like seeing lots of something, the last of anything goes slower at the table, that's why I always bring more than I'll sell to keep the table looking bountiful!

Snow Hill Farm
06-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Well, I definitely stirred too long then because I wasn't pouring at all, I was spooning it in and having to pack it. The flavor was excellent and it was definitely creamy so apparently I should have packed sooner. Thanks for the tip!

Snow Hill Farm
06-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Anyone have a suggestion for giving maple cream samples at a farmers market? I was thinking some kind of small cracker or unsalted pretzle that people could dip to sample the taste? I assume that at room temperature the pretzles or whatever won't break off in the container?

KenWP
06-11-2009, 07:15 AM
Buy a bunch of those little plastic cups and dole out little samples that way. It's far cleaner and looks better. Around here they also use tounge deppressors for people to sample maple products.

davey
06-11-2009, 08:06 AM
At Wal-mart they sell something like a 1000 craft sticks (popsicle style) for about $5.00, those work nice. we then use saltine crackers for people to put the cream on. The saltiness of the cracker makes your tounge extra sensitive to the sweetness of the cream. Try it, we have been successful using this so far.

brookledge
06-11-2009, 07:12 PM
If you want to sell a small amount, try mini ice cream cones they hold about a teaspoon. And many use these at fairs. The problem is that most manufacturers only sell like 1,000 or 2,500 in a case and they get stale quick once open. I think if my memory is right they usually sell for .75 each.
Otherwise for samples another option is a wooden coffee stirrer.
Keith

mountainvan
06-12-2009, 02:33 PM
when I gave samples I used the little graham crackers for people to dip into the cream. I stopped giving out samples because of double/triple dipping, not just kids that just played in the sandbox that the cats use a litterbox, but adults also. You may want to check with the local health dept. on giving out samples, or better yet talk to another farmer at the market with a couple years experience. I have seen vendors booted for giving out samples in an unsanitary way.

3rdgen.maple
01-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Just reviving an old post but I got a question for you cream experts. Once you have made the cream and want to sell it how do you guys seal the containers? Does it have a shelf life or need to be refrigerated?

KenWP
01-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Up here they sell the maple cream in those plastic containers and there is no seal on them. This is in the stores that sell it. Not many stores sell the cream. Mainly a couple bakeries and specialty shops. If I ever get going I want to make a batch for myself. It's a little harder to make then maple sugar it seems.

3rdgen.maple
01-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Ken I actually think it is easier to make. I am familiar with those plastic tubs just wondering if and how they are sealed and the shelf life.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-10-2010, 05:56 AM
3rd gen,
My Mom always used the plastic tubs and there was no seal. Many people now use the screw top lid containers...more expensive but more customer appeal. I don't believe there is a seal on those either. As far as shelf life, it is better than the un-coated sugar cakes. Keep it refrigerated or frozen. It may develop a syrup on top but by just stirring it, will be back to normal. Of course freshly made is always best.

maplwrks
01-10-2010, 06:24 AM
The plastic tubs you guys are referring to do not have a seal. The glass and Sugarhill plastic cream tubs do. Cream made with the paddle style cream machines will separate after a short while, where cream made with the new style machine will last a long time before separation.

unclebuck
01-10-2010, 02:02 PM
we make about 50lbs of maple cream during the season only. we store the cream in the frig to keep it fresh and not seperate.If it does seprate jus pop it in thr microwave for 15 -20 seconds it will soften enough to stir back together. we use the sugarhill 1/2 lbs containers they have a pressure sensitive seal in the twist on covers.My wife still has maple cream still left from last season.I know this because I found where she had it hidden while looking for lunch because the patriots are loosin so badly

Uncle Buck

3rdgen.maple
01-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks gents the deal is I have a retail customer that wants to display some on a shelf along with the syrup for customers to purchase. I think a tamper proof lid would be ideal and I am wondering if maybe they should put up empty displays and keep the good stuff in the fridge.

Sugarmaker
01-10-2010, 04:31 PM
3rdgen,
We have used the std plastic 1/2 and 1 lb tubs with plastic lid and added heat shrink seal to each container over the lid.
I agree that your store should put out a empty container for display and have the cream in the refrigerator when the customer wants one. That should keep it as fresh as possible.
Regards,
Chris

brookledge
01-10-2010, 06:54 PM
One thing about cream I feel that it is better to package in containers that are not clear. The reason is that if it does seperate some it becomes an eyesore and the customer will not purchase it. Even though it is good and may have a label on it saying to just stir it.
Anyways if they buy it and then get it home they will more than likely just stir it vs. taking the time to return it. In my travels I have seen displays with seperated cream and it just seems to sit there.
Keith

3rdgen.maple
01-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Ahhh I am getting answers now. Do the plastic tubs having theinstructions onthem to stir if separation has occured or is it something you guys add after the fact.

maplwrks
01-11-2010, 05:40 AM
Up here in VT., folks like their cream in glass--they like to see how nice and white it is. Glass will out sell plastic 2-1 up here. Glass will also let you know when to pull off the shelves, but with the new cream machines, that doesn't happen much.

Snow Hill Farm
01-11-2010, 07:38 AM
I bought the cream containers made by Sugarhill that have a built in seal in the cap that adheres when you tighten the cap. I kept them all in the freezer all summer and took some to the farmers market each friday and tby the end of the summer they were still fresh. I have been told 1 month shelf life at room temp and up to 6 months refrigerated of in the freezer...

Father & Son
02-06-2010, 12:44 PM
A question for the cream makers. The last batch of cream I made was a 2 qt batch done in the Kitchen Aid mixer. Cooked to 22 F over boiling, rapid cooled in a snow bank on the deck, put in the Kitchen Aid on low. When I put it in the 1/2 lb containers the thickness was just right and it was incredibly smooth. The next day it was very thick and had almost completely granulated. What did I do wrong?

Jim

KenWP
02-06-2010, 01:23 PM
And I had the opposite happen. It came out to thick and put it in the fridge and it got smooth. Must be the syrup.

3rdgen.maple
02-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I do not rapid cool it. This may have been the problem. I let it sit undesturbed until it reaches the proper temp. Careful with the kitchen aid mixer as well many a folks have burnt out their wives kitchen aid mixers making cream.

Amber Gold
02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I made my first batch of cream last night. I used 2 qts of syrup. The 5 qt kitchen aid mixer handled it, but it got pretty warm. I used the 2 speed and it stayed warm, the 3 speed couldn't be maintained because it got hot. I rapid cooled it in an ice bowl. I made the mistake of not transferring it from the pot to the mixing bowl so I lost sugar in the cooling bowl. The sugar crystals came out nice, small and smooth. My wife says it's still that way this morning. Going to make another 2 batches this week and next week is candy.

Is the pricing for cream still $16/lb and candy $18/lb?

SWEETER CREATIONS
02-09-2010, 07:55 PM
we made about 150 pounds last season, struggled with the first 15-20 pounds . Then talked to Steve Childs at a maple confections workshop.If you have one in your area they are the best thing going. As Thompson Tree Farm said check your inverted sugars fancy isnt always the best you might have to blend some medium amber. The North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual page 188-190 has all the answers . Good Luck

Amber Gold
02-11-2010, 06:52 AM
I made another batch of cream last night. The first batch I started mixing around 85F and the mixer handled it OK. Last night I forgot about it and it was down to 70F when I started mixing...mixer didn't like that so much...started smoking at one point. I took a corn bag and wrapped it around the bowl and that warmed it up enough to mix easier.

I did notice my first batch of cream is already separating a bit. Does anybody know why this is? Did I not mix it enough?

danno
03-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Josh -

Do you have a drill press? I use my drill press with a sheetrock mud paddle on slowest speed to mix my cream. Works great and no worries about smoking the kitchen mixer. Can mix a gallon or a bit more at a time.

LawnMowerMan
11-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Well I decided to try my hand at cream (the last thing I have wanted to make). Since this was my first time I started out with a pint just to try........let me tell ya that is awsome, I cannot believe how creamy it gets,(I have never had maple cream before so I had no expectations)

Now the bad news. I wanted to make something to have the cream on (besides my fingers) but realized my arms are so tired from stiring that I do not think I can run a butter knife to get it out of the jar.......holy cow I am tired, That was probably the hardest "food" product I have ever made. It just keeps getting thicker and thicker.......lol

Oh well, I will finish whats on my fingers, i can still get them to my mouth :D and will think of things to have it on tomorrow, Maybe some fresh apples to start!

I think next time I will have to use the kitchen aid mixer....I think I still have a warrenty on it......just in case.....lol:lol:

maplwrks
11-05-2010, 05:02 AM
NO NO NO---If you like replacing Kitchenaid mixers, go ahead!! I'm a little slow to learn, and I've replaced 3 of them.

802maple
11-05-2010, 08:45 AM
When making small batches I find a good 3/8"s or 1/2 inch electric drill with a old beater out of a destroyed mixer works great.

jcb
11-05-2010, 03:56 PM
NO NO NO---If you like replacing Kitchenaid mixers, go ahead!! I'm a little slow to learn, and I've replaced 3 of them.

How much cream dose it take to burn up a kitchenaid

802maple
11-05-2010, 04:03 PM
If you make it what I call the right texture and thick enough. And yes cold enough, one batch is all it took for me. LOL

sweetwoodmaple
11-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Kitchen Aid Professional 6 is not bad (it has metal gears) as long as you don't take the cream down below 70 degrees or so. The other critical part is not getting greedy and making more than a few pounds at a time. I have made cream for years this way and it's not bad for the small producer.

I upgraded to a paddle style machine and it is good for both cream and sugar. The gear pump machines are nice, but won't make sugar.

maplefrank
11-05-2010, 08:53 PM
i made a small batch and cooled it in the fridge, anyone tried this ??? it turned out great, but i had a sore arm!!!!!!

Sugarmaker
11-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Reminds me that I need to get new gears for my homemade cream machine too!
Yes I have done the sore arm thing on small batches.

Regards,
Chris

red maples
11-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Just made my first batch of cream today. Came out really good!!! my daughter said it was a creamy dream of goodness!!! Alrighty them:)
started by hand then it went into the kitchen aide. just a really small batch, Only a qt of syrup. Want to try it first.

Made some candy too. Bought one of those thermo's with the probe. crap!!! it was way off big crystal hard!!!! blah..so melted that batch back to syrup went back to the old thero and second batch came out great.

sweetwoodmaple
11-11-2010, 08:16 PM
http://www.nnyagdev.org/maplefactsheets/CMB%20201%20Making%20Maple%20Cream1.pdf

Sorry if this has been posted before. I keep the cornell maple bulletin's in my finishing area for reference. They have one for most confections.

http://www.nnyagdev.org/_maple.htm

All the sheets and the links.

Moser's Maple
01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
lawnmower man,

I normally boil my syrup to 232 or 233 and then stick the batch directly in the frig for 30 to 45 minutes depending on the batch. I too do not have a creamer, but have grown to love my 1/2 in. drill with a red paint paddle that you can purchase at your local walmart in the paint department. Just don't forget to add a little syrup as you beat, because your cream my want to start to set up the longer you go.