PDA

View Full Version : Sugar House Roof Colors

Whitetail24
06-01-2009, 11:18 AM
I have been working on a newer Sugar House and have been unable to determine a roof color. There are not many other Sugar Houses in the area to compare.
Trying to stay with the traditional look and have come down to 2 colors, Black and Green.
I have attached a couple of pictures for some Mapler feed back or maybe other ideas.
Not sure how the pics will turn out, but it is worth a try.
Thanks
Whitetail24

KenWP
06-01-2009, 11:29 AM
When all do you plan on working in it. Black would be great in the winter months but man it's hot in the summer. Years ago they put a brown metal roof on my house and I suffered all summer. The green is a cooler colour for the summer and should attract some heat for the winter months.

mapleack
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
My personal favorite is green, though our sugarhouse is roof is silver. Your pictures load very small, are those shingles on the cupola? If you're fireing with wood, put steel roofing on everything to protect from sparks.

Whitetail24
06-01-2009, 04:53 PM
I have resized the pictures, hope this works better.

The shingles are on the cupola, and are just stapled on for now.

I looked at going with a steel roof and the cost has skyrocketed in the last couple of months plus a month waiting time on delivery, shingles increased in price last fall due to the price of oil and the priced has yet to come down, sad part is most shingles are now organic and do not contain very many oil products.

Whitetail24

Sugarmaker
06-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Whitail24,
Check our web site, we went with the green but they also match our house. I like them But I like green steel roofing look too!
Regards,
Chris

3rdgen.maple
06-01-2009, 10:33 PM
One green one black one green one black problem solved:lol:

Whitetail24
06-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Chris

Thanks for the link to your web page, very nice.

Like us we have the black shingles on the house and have wondered what the green shingles would look like. Our house is a couple of miles away from the farm where the sugar shack is being constructed.

I see you also do bee keeping like us.

Also when checking out your location, I see you are located some 60 miles south east of the farm, which backs up to Lake Erie. To bad there is so much water between us, I would stop by for a visit.

Thanks
Whitetail24

BarrelBoiler
06-02-2009, 08:39 AM
driving around this spring i came upon serveral sugar shacks i hadn't noticed before. they all have steel roofs majority being green one was red. when my sister lived in NH it seemed the favorite color was rust. these were old shacks that were probably on the 16th year of a guaranteed 15 year year paint job:)

we have a swap paper here in Maine that where people list things for sale.i've seeen meatal roofing in there once-in-awhile. check craig's list, ebay, etc in your area. depending on the size you might catch on to some that way

3rdgen.maple
06-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I have a buddy that built a garage a few years back. He hooked up with some lumber yards and building contractors. He manage to scrounge up enough of the metal roofing that they cover the special order stuff with when they ship it. It was all different colors so he painted it a color of his desire. All he spent was a week of running around from jobsites to lumber yards, gas money and the cost of paint.

KenWP
06-02-2009, 11:04 PM
I built the roof on a hay shed that way also. They use a lot of good metal to protect good metal.

Sugarmaker
06-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Whitetail,
If you get on the south side of the pond look us up. The bees seem to be doing their thing! I have the honey supers on and need to get in them to see whats happening soon.

Chris

Justin Turco
06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
White, of course, to reduce greenhouse affect! A white roof is the new "green" roof. Or so they say...

Justin