PDA

View Full Version : Learn to Weld?

Keyes Hollow Gold
05-31-2009, 08:07 PM
I was wondering if anyone has taken any "adult education" type courses in welding and if not where they went about learning to weld?
I live in Lempster, NH and would love to find a place where I could go and learn the basics.

tuckermtn
05-31-2009, 08:15 PM
sometimes welding supply shops have classes- weekend type classes- Airgas and Maine Oxy are a places to look- mostly just basic welding- if your looking to do stainless thats a different animal...

Not sure if they would let you hang around at Stetson's shop in Newport...Foote is a pretty crafty guy...

twobears1224
05-31-2009, 09:31 PM
yep,check with welding supply businesses in your area.you could also do a web search for adult ed classes in your area.
here in new york we have whats called BOCE'S and they have adult ed classes on welding.
you could also check at your local high school they might know about adult ed classes..here you would talk to the guidance consular.

delbert

RileySugarbush
05-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Community college and vocational schools often have welding classes as well.

KenWP
05-31-2009, 10:39 PM
50 years of farming helps out a lot. I was able to learn from a Class A pressure welder which helped out a lot. We also had farmer's classes up here that were neat to take also. Got to weld a piggy bank believe it or not with every seam a different weld as the test at the end of the class.

Big_Eddy
06-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Around here the local college offers a welding course - 10 weeks, 3 hours a week or something similar.

There is a level 1 and a level 2 course. Level 1 teaches stick welding in a horizontal position, with 1 night on TIG and one on MIG. Level 2 progresses to vertical and overhead stick, with again 1 night on MIG and 1 on TIG. However - the instructors tend to see who is doing what and are flexible enough to adjust as needed. I took the course a couple of years back and 1 person spent the whole session on TIG as he was was working for a restaurant installation company and worked on hoods, counters, etc. and wanted to focus on sanitary stainless welding. Was a stretch for the instructor who is a stick welder by trade - but he was able to help out.

I'd ask at the local college and high school. For on line resources - www.millerwelds.com and www.hobartwelders.com both have excellent online forums where questions are posed and answered.

twobears1224
06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
RILEY WROTE:vocational schools often have welding classes as well.

yep,thats what the boces school is the high school kids go to it the last two years there in school and now some kids go there to get there ged,s,ect.
boces also has adult education classes..thats where i trained for my class A driving licence.

delbert

Keyes Hollow Gold
08-26-2009, 12:01 PM
I just signed up for my welding class in Newport, NH(the last slot!)
It starts September 1st. Look out now!!:D

3rdgen.maple
08-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Keyes Hollow Gold good luck with the welding classes. I have been wanting to take a course at our local BOCES but just cannot find the time. Oldest boy is gonna take the course last 2 years of school then he plans on furthering that and get into underwater welding for a career. The boys after the big welding bucks.