PDA

View Full Version : How Too Test Line For Leaks

PARKER MAPLE
05-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Ok So Im Working On Our Old Sugarbush And Finding That There Are Alot Of Line Down And Poss Even Broken. Is There A Way That You Can Test These Lines For Leaks. I Dont Have Vac, And Im Not Sure How Grandpa Cleaned Them Before, Im Tryong To Get This Opperation Up And Running And This Is One Of The Many Things I Need To Take Care Of.. Thanks For The Help M.r..

brookledge
05-31-2009, 05:32 PM
You can get or make a tubing washer that uses air and water. Then walk the lines and look for leaks. Also you can just walk along and hold the 5/16 line in your hand and it should be smooth, if you detect a rough spot look at it closely it could be chewed.
Other than that during the season you can look for drips, the sap will melt the snow straight down as it drips. I have also learned that small pin holes or seeping will make the spot sticky so I automaticly will hold the 5/16 tubing in my hands anytime I walk the lines
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
05-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Once the visual is done then you need to clean the system because of the time it has been sitting. If you have lines that have been lying on the ground open then you need to flush out the crap. I would open up the end of the mainline so you dont push junk out into the 5/16th. You can go with air from a gas comp or with the transfer bulk tank you will be using low pressure water will tell you alot. Its best to fix all the things you can see and then check as your cleaning .

3rdgen.maple
05-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Just thinking here but if there is no electrical source near the lines could one not just get a cheap 12 volt bilge pump, fill a gathering tank with water, hook it up to the line, then connect it to a battery and check for leaks? Good time to flush the lines too.

halfast tapper
06-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Just thinking here but if there is no electrical source near the lines could one not just get a cheap 12 volt bilge pump, fill a gathering tank with water, hook it up to the line, then connect it to a battery and check for leaks? Good time to flush the lines too.

You could possible do that if it was fairly flat , otherwise it won't take the head pressure.

PerryW
06-01-2009, 02:23 PM
You can also use a 3-5 gal backpack sprayer and unplug the taps and squirt. Works pretty good for checking & rinsing the 5/16" tubing.

maplecrest
06-01-2009, 03:53 PM
what is the tubing type? is it leader 30p? us maple green? my two cents is if you want to use what you have buy 100 straight connectors and go out and walk every line. run the tubing thru your fingers and fix the broken spots. any chewed spots put up to your mouth and blow into it. you will find the leaks faster than pumps and water. blow into the spouts to find leaks at the drops.for mains run your hand down them any nick or chew same thing. #88 electrical tape works good on mainline. to fix small bird holes.or a small piece of 4 seasons and a clamp