PDA

View Full Version : Approx. weight of bricked 2x6???

red maples
05-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Does anyone know the weight of a fully bricked 2x6 dropflue arch. or aleast a really good estimate. Need to move one and I really don't want to take out the bricks if I don't have to. Just looking at what I need for guys and or lifts, etc.???

thanks
brad

briduhunt
05-27-2009, 07:46 AM
I know it took 6 big guys to move my 2x6 bricked evaporator. I also found out that I had to repair about 1/2 to 3/4 of the bricks due to the truck ride home. Mind you I had a 5 hour trip but I did notice the bricks were coming loose very soon after I was on the road. I would plan on removing and bringing less freinds or bringing a large group of guys and still re-bricking some of them that will come loose.
Just my 2 cents

tuckermtn
05-27-2009, 06:39 PM
it took 4 folks to move an UNBRICKED 2.5 x 8- can't imagine if it had the bricks in it...I agree w/ birduhunt that its worth unbricking- also allows you to brick it right when you get it back to your sugarhouse

red maples
05-27-2009, 07:15 PM
I went and got the hardwear pans etc,  and even with everything removable gone ...forget it just too heavy.  So we ended up removing most of the bricks anway.  and its only about an 1 1/2 hours I just the vibarations will loosen those things right up.  Going back for the arch.  on sunday.  So that leaves me with about 8 months to finish my sugar house and set this thing up before I have start running lines!!! plenty of time.  if it would stop raining already.Brad

3rdgen.maple
05-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I think removing the bricks is a wise choice. All that weight can twist an arch when lifting and moving it around. Also it is a good time to put some arch board in it before rebricking if it does not have any.

Teuchtar
05-29-2009, 09:56 PM
I moved my bricked 2x6 last year using a front end loader rated at 1000 lb. So it can't weigh much more than that.
I agree, you need to be carefull with the lift. We used nylon loadbinders around the cast iron parts (not chain) for fear of busting the delicate parts.

I remember picking the whole kit up at Dominion and Grimm's factory in Montreal in 2001 using my 1/2 ton truck. That included pans, stack, accessories plus arch and bricks. Truckload was heavy on the springs, so my guess is the entire load was 1500 lb.
Hope that helps.
Sounds like you'll need 10 friends, or a good loader.
I'd hate to unbrick my arch. It took me all weekend to brick it up.

T