PDA

View Full Version : New Pans

BarrelBoiler
05-26-2009, 11:17 AM
On Friday the 22nd of May my new pans finally arrived. A Phenuf 2x3 with pre heater

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss287/4genlogger/sap007.jpg

i was going to use my extra barrel to build another stove but have a 275 gal oil tank available. it measures 60" X 27". am looking for input as to what to do with the extra 2 feet of lenght. how to put in a grate, racks for the fire brick , extra air to burn the unburned gases, even the size for the firebox.

oh ,can i do thumbnail photos out of photobucket

KenWP
05-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Very nice want me to test it for a year or so. You have lots of firewwod for it hanging around also. There is a picture hanging around where the fellow used the back two feet of the tank as part of the stack so that the preheater can go against it. he has it cut out just to fit the pan and then closed in the round part with a flat side for the preheater to go against.

DanE.
05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Hey, that is a real nice pan. You can use that space as pre-pre-heater or brick it up and move that new shiny one back there. Dane

marc
05-26-2009, 05:15 PM
I have the same pans ordered. And a spare 275 gallon tank kicking around. I am very interested in any comments about using the two together efficiently. I was thinking about putting the preheater box behind as well as above the syrup pan instead of sitting on top.

maplesyrupstove
05-26-2009, 05:25 PM
oil barrel cut off for short pan

KenWP
05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
That's the picture I was looking for. Beats typeing 300 words. I have seen a bunch of those tanks around here and am trying to gloom onto one of them.

3rdgen.maple
05-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Barrel Boiler sorry but I just gotta do it!!!!!!!!!!! I would just cut a hole in the top of that stationwagon put the pan on top of that throw all that lumber inside and let her rip. lol. Sometimes I just can't help myself.
But all funny crap aside I would build a block or concrete arch if you have a permanent place to put it. Alot easier to work with. I gotta think if you use block and fill the holes with sand and line it with firebrick you are gonna retain alot more heat plus no curves to deal with. Put an arch door on the front. Ash pit at the bottom with the grates held up by an extra row of firebrick stacked on the ends. Build it to an easy on the back height too. The less bending over to add wood the more enjoyable boiling is. I do like the looks of that pan though and it even has a preheater. Good luck and be sure to let use know what you do for an arch.

BarrelBoiler
05-27-2009, 09:23 AM
now be nice........ however yuo did give me an idea some one on here had firetruck tanks a nd wonder ifhtey would make good sap storage. they won't because of the rust but they make a good start no a big homemade arch:D :D