PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Jenny

caseyssugarshack93
05-25-2009, 08:32 PM
has anyone every made a Spinning Jenny ? or some kind of thing to run roll coils of wire? i know the dealers sell them for like 160 bucks or so but if someone has some good plans on how to make one,or know were some are cheaper that would be great

thanks

Nate

brookledge
05-25-2009, 08:42 PM
If you can weld you can make one just like the commercial ones.
I made one out of a spool that had hydraulic hose on it and it works ok.
Keith

wdchuck
05-25-2009, 08:55 PM
I bought one for fence wire from Tractor Supply. After a couple of welding modifications I can use it for wire or mainline. Cost- $35. You decide.

caseyssugarshack93
05-25-2009, 09:08 PM
i think ill be takin a other trip to Tractor supply Thanks Wdchuck and Brookledge

lpakiz
05-25-2009, 09:08 PM
I made one using a 16-18" square piece of 1/2 plywood for the base. 3 bolts about 10' long (or redi-rod) and 3 pieces of pipe that slip over the redi-rod and are about 2 inches shorter than the bolts. The top cap is also plywood, but must be cut round just so it fits into the center of the coil. A 1/2" X11" rod with a bottom cap (like a nut only bigger) about 2-3 inches in diameter feeds up from the bottom thru center holes in each piece of plywood. Weld a hook onto the center post thingy to hang it from the wire.
Instead of a hanger, you could make a small "fence-post" to jam into the (unfrozen) ground with a 2-3" diameter stopper about 10 inches from the top. Set the winder onto the post and feed the post up thru both plates.

KenWP
05-26-2009, 07:33 AM
If you have a three point hitch on a tractor it's fairly easy to make something to wind up wire. I made one with a bar with a handle on one end and put it through the holes on the arms of the three point hitch and wind up old barb wire.

MapleChaser
05-30-2009, 05:52 PM
I to bought mine from tractor supply. Then I took and threaded the top. Installed a chevy valve spring and mounted it with a nut and washers so that we would have a brake on it to keep it from free spooling. Made a fixture for the front of the four wheeler to carry around in the woods. Works great.

caseyssugarshack93
05-30-2009, 06:36 PM
i went up to the woods yesterday and you cant see nothing, leaves fill in everything, ill be running wire this falll and probably get the mainline and sap ladder in then this winter when im bored ill know what to do... RUN TUBING thats a good idea for a brake to keep it from free spooling i think ill be doing that too

thanks guys