PDA

View Full Version : Wally Vacuum Pump?

ibby458
05-23-2009, 07:58 AM
I just bought a vacuum pump for $75. It's said to work well, and it turns over easily. It's labeled as a Wally pump, which the seller says is a Canadien version of a Delaval. Anyone ever hear of these?

KenWP
05-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Well since the Delaval dealer is just down the road from me I would have to wonder why they would change the name. I could ask the fellow sometime.

http://en.delaval.ca/Products/Milking/Vacuum/default.htm

Haynes Forest Products
05-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Chevy GMC Lets get the camera out

ibby458
05-24-2009, 05:23 AM
I did a little research, and found out it's made by Wallenstein, a maker of high volume vacuum pumps for vac trucks, etc. Haven't got much further than that so far. The seller used it with a 7-1/2 hp motor and it was too much for the motor. He told me a local dairy supply company can sell me replacement vanes, etc.

I wish I could post some pics, but my digital camera burned up in our house fire last year and I haven't replaced it yet.

I'm gonna clean it up, lubricate it and power it up with a 20 hp Kohler engine and see what I get for vacuum.

ibby458
12-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Tubing and vacuum is still more than a year away, but I'm going to start working on this pump soon. I scrapped a vane pump out years ago, and remember a polished chamber with the vanes sliding out of a grooved rotor assembly. That sound about right?

I'm picturing honing the cylinder, installing new vanes and seals. I do plan to increase the oil line size and try to feed a lot of oil so it's kinda like a flood system. I've a few ideas for an oil reclaimer - one of them ought to work.

I'm planning on running it at maximum performance level, so overheating is likely to be a problem. Besides wire brushing off all the old paint and cow poop, what else can I do? I've thought of a fan pumping cold air over it, and/or a spray nozzle misting cold water over it while running. Will either of these work?

smitty76
12-16-2009, 07:44 AM
I Am Not Sure Of Your Situation But If The Shaft Is Exposed Between The Motor And The Pump You Can Make A Fan To Mount To The Shaft So You Do Not Need To Run A Second Motor(fan) To Cool.
I Would Not Mist Water Over It. The Fan Is Your Best Option Or Do Not Run It At Max.

Haynes Forest Products
12-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Flood oil is the way to cool it. Cool flood oil is the next best thing to keep it running at higher vacuum. DONT over speed it you dont need to get the RPMs that high for a nice running pump. The flood oil also helps seal the vanes like in a liquid ring pump.

I wouldnt get all carried away with the honing and vane replacement until you get it dpinning and it works the way you want it. This type of pump isnt like a cumbustion engine with burnt gases and gas that you need to keep from the crankcase oil. With a flood system the oil will fill in the voids.

spraying water on it can allow water to get in thru the seals from the vacuum action.