PDA

View Full Version : Refresher on the Asian Long Horned Beetle.

Justin Turco
05-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Just a reminder of who we're not looking to find in the sugar woods. (I just found a pine sawyer (thankfully) on my porch and had to go back to this to confirm what I was looking at.)

http://www.vermontmaple.org/recognize_alb_ppt.pdf

Acer
05-23-2009, 08:30 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BATTLING_BEETLES_NHOL-?SITE=NHMAL&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Estimate is 450 residents transported firewood from alb infested area to NH.
bummer.

maplecrest
05-23-2009, 08:59 AM
the way i read it, it was vermont!

mapleman3
05-23-2009, 12:04 PM
It is inevitable that that has happened. There is no doubt in my mind that they will find the ALB in the other states this summer. Now that the word is out everyone is looking a lot closer at their trees. I hope I am wrong and this is still isolated. don't fool yourself into thinking "It won't happen to me" ! Be vigilant and keep a keen eye to your trees and to others that show distress when your driving around... Keep a pair of binoculars in the truck and stop and look at them... many trees you have to look way up into their branches.. the ALB likes the smaller size softer branches then moves it's way down as wood is used up.

I too had a pine sawyer that I caught yesterday just to have as an example of "What some think is an ALB"
I was splitting up some pine and there he was.

brookledge
05-24-2009, 06:24 PM
450 campers in VT. and estimated 300 properties in 40 NH towns. I said a year ago when I heard of the invasion in Worcester that they should start tracking and asking all in the infected area if they have ever taken any wood to a campsite,2nd home etc. and now a year later they have decided to start to do so. It is scary to think that the ALB has been there for ten years with out any one determining it. I hope they follow up on every lead and have owners of campgrounds go through their records to see if anyone from the quarantined area ever stayed with them. Unless we are proactive about this it could be devistating.
Keith

red maples
08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
I found a pine sawyer while splitting. wanted to make sure that was wat it was seems like a pest to me although they say its not. Just reading through this thread. Wasn't there a law just passed in either maine, nh, or vt about Camper not being able to bring wood from other areas and campgrounds need to supply wood or it must come from that area, so as to not spread unwanted pests into other areas???

3rdgen.maple
08-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Red Maples I seen them a couple days ago while splitting some pine. As far as the law goes here we cannot transport wood more than 50 miles from it origin unless it has been kiln dried or you got a special permit from the DEC.