PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up membranes ???

Brent
05-19-2009, 03:17 PM
When I got my new to me Airablo unit home a few weeks ago, the test was not up to snuff for permeate flow so I got the factory original acid powder and sani-osmo (basic) soap and went through 3 full cycles of soap / rinse / acid / rinse.

Each of the first two times the flow of permeate went up a but suddenly the last time around it went too high. The book says it should be 3 GPH at 55 degrees at 200PSI and now I have 4 GPH.

Each time I tested the PH and stayed at least 1 degree inside the values
3-4 and 10-11.

Do you think I have screwed it up ?

Got to get a TDS meter.... real soon

802maple
05-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Sometimes they will give a high flow rate for a short period of time and then balance out. Also how warm was the water you were testing with?

Brent
05-19-2009, 04:01 PM
When I did the test I managed to pick a day when the temp was 55. The book says it can be run at 150PSI and 70 for the same prescribed rate.

I don't think I did anything wrong but it's a bit scary after just getting this rig to think that I might need to put another $1600 into a pair of new membranes.

Maybe I should run some fresh well water and re-try the test. Seems to me it was all permeate when I did the test. Could be that brought up the flow.

Russell Lampron
05-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Brent I don't think that you screwed anything up. Permeate is pretty much mineral free and will flow pretty fast. There are a lot of variables that can change what you get for flow rates.

WMF
05-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Run a dye test . Red food coloring from your grocery store works fine. it should seperate all the dye out.