PDA

View Full Version : New Sugar House

JD COOK FARM
05-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Hi, I am currently building a sugar house, 18'x22'. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether or not to spend money on vented soffit or just enclose the eves with something like plywood? I didn't know if it would help with steam escaping the sugar house or not with it being vented? Any advise please?

JD Cook
Burke, NY

Haynes Forest Products
05-19-2009, 08:16 AM
If you build a nice tight sugar house and have a steam hood your done. One nice thing about a well insulated sugar shack is when your not cooking you keep the heat in and its fun to work in during the cold days when your fixing, cleaning, bottling and just sitting around shooting the bull.

maplecrest
05-19-2009, 08:24 AM
my sugar house is 24x32 and it is not big enough. think about the future and any plans now do it once. i have added on. and need to add on again

Maplewalnut
05-19-2009, 08:53 AM
If you can afford it, button it up tight and do it right the first time, you won't regret it. Mine is not heated but is still comfortable on all but the coldest winter days. Even then we fire up a little pot belly stove and your all set. Sugarhouses are better than garages for tinkering in. Better atmosphere or as my wife calls it ambiance. I agree with maplecrest, mine should have been bigger.

Haynes Forest Products
05-19-2009, 05:53 PM
If Im runniong low on sap but know Im going to work in the sap shack I will hold off on cooking the last 200 gallons just so I can heat the place up with the evap............I LOVE OIL.until I have to pay for it
Plan on bigger is better and a nice vented heater is nice for all around comfort. If its open to the out side then its open for bugs and vermin