PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to Bascoms open house?

Parker
04-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Who is planning on Bascoms open house fri May 2 and sat. May 3? I am going to try to make it, Really interested in Vacume seminar.
Parker

Hmmmm...
04-18-2003, 07:13 PM
Didn't know they were having one...

May just bring pics of my rig and see what they will give me towards a trade-in/up for a bigger rig...

I NEED BIGGER...

I knew when I bought this old 2x6 that it had issues and it was going to be too small within a year...

I WILL have 300 taps next year, and at least a 3x10...

She will be mine...

Oh yes...

She will be mine...

Salmoneye

;-)

saphead
04-19-2003, 04:07 PM
Count me in! Went last year and learned that there is always another way to do it. Just got back from visiting The Proctor Maple Research Center up in Underhill Vt. and Bascom's flier was in the mail box. If you have the time to visit the center call Brian Stowe, he runs the sugaring operation and loves what he does. New R.O. , evaporator , Vacuum , releasers the list goes on, nice dream job! He's trying to arrange different manufacturers to come and set up tubing systems so the results can be documented and supervised, that would be an interesting study.

powerdub
04-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Count me in too. I always go every year and seem to always take something home.

Parker
04-20-2003, 05:09 AM
What day is everyone going on? I was thinking fri. for smaller crowds?
Parker

powerdub
04-20-2003, 09:47 PM
I am going to have to go Friday myself, my wife has to work Saturday that week. The last time I went on a Friday the crowds were not much smaller.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Salmoneye,

I changed my mind on the 2 x 6 Leader and ordered a 2x8 with all the bells and whistles. For less than $ 500 more, I picked up around 10 more gph. I can't wait to get this thing cranking! I think that I can push 50 gph with the new style 32" high arch with square sides once I get it dancing. What kind of evaporator are you interested in??? I saw your post where you were talking about even going to a 3 x 10.

P.S. Leader had already finished my 2 x 6 that I originally ordered and will have it on display and for sale at their facilities if someone is interested in looking at it this weekend at the Maple Syrup festival.

Catch you later!

Brandon

04-22-2003, 12:44 AM
you candy but

mapleman3
04-26-2003, 09:04 AM
Hmmm I will be driving by there on my way up to Mikes (north VT)
If I go by there around 3 or so on Sat. will I be able to see much?

I would love to see all the different Evaporators, Big And Small
Not to mention meet some of you

Parker
04-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Mapleman, cant speak for anyone elas but I will be there Fri. I would think things would be winding down by 3 pm but dont know.
They do have some big old evaps. there., cool to see. Good luck with your new rig,

Brian
04-27-2003, 04:26 PM
If you go to there web site go to bruces corner and it tells events and times of the things going on. www.bascommaple.com/

mapleman3
04-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Thanks Brian.
Looks like I will go Sat. My daughter and I want to take in the candy seminar. she at 11 is very interested in helping make it. hope we get there for the free food :lol:

Jim

Brian
04-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Jim
I'm hoping to make it down on Friday because I think Danforths is having theirs on Saturday, though I'm not sure. Today I was helping my neighbor, Glen Goodrich wash pipeline. He made 5000 gallons of syrup this year and he has 13,000 taps. His vacuum pumps are liquid cooled. It's pretty neat to look at, I don't believe I'll ever be that big. He has about 5000 taps left to wash, we hope to knock out about 3500 more tomorrow. Glen's wife and oldest daughter and her boyfriend were also washing pipeline, too. He designed the steam-away and sold the idea to Leader. It's kind of neat to have him for a neighbor, if I run into any pinches, I go down and he helps me out. Here is his webpage if you want to look.

http://www.goodrichmaplefarm.com/

Brian

mapleman3
04-29-2003, 07:02 PM
OH MY GOD !!!!! 5000 gals of SYRUP? HOLY $%%$#%$
Thats alot of boiling.... WOW!!!!!!!!!

Parker
04-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Brian, What do you use to clean the tubing? I am trying to figure out how to hook my air compressor to my transfer pump to make a washer. Any Ideas? I was thinking of just T'ing them togther with a 1/2" tubing fitting, but what do you think? What is the procedur when washing? Do you start with all the taps plugged or open? Do you use just water or water and bleach? Always looking for a better way.
Thanks,
Parker

Brian
04-29-2003, 07:51 PM
I run my gardening hose down and use a 3/4inch tee. In your case, go off the transfer pump and possibly install a check-valve so you won't get backfeed on your transfer pump. Then I screwed in a reducer into the tee so I could screw in a coupler to attach my air compressor. The other end of the tee hooks to the mainline. Before I start it up, I go out to the furthest line and pull out the spout so the air-water will have a place to go so I won"t blow a line anywhere. Then turn on the water and air, LET THE WATER FLOW!! Leaving the last spout down, I then start following the main line to the first tubing line and go to the end, pull that spout then wait for that line to fill with water. Once the line is spitting water and air I go back to the beginning of that line leaving that spout hanging. I then pull the first spout and let the water run until it is clean then hook it to the tee. Then the next, ect. Once I reach the last spout on that line, I hook it to the tee. I keep going like this until I reach the last spout. Or the first spout I pulled. I leave that spout hanging. After I shut the water and air off I pull all the end spouts so the water can drain. The next week I close the end spouts and drain the rest of the drop lines. I also rinse my lines in the fall after I fix them in hopes they will be perfect in the spring. We don't use bleach for pipeline around here because it attracts the squirrels.

Brian

Salmoneye
04-30-2003, 05:52 AM
I bought an old pool filter pump...A biggy...Hook it to the end of the pipeline and stick a hose in 55 gallon barrel of 40:1 bleach/water mix and pump uphill till all taps flow freely...Shut down and let drain and then go back through and plug all the taps...

Paid $10 for the pump at a lawn sale...

Parker
05-01-2003, 04:04 AM
Salmoneye- Do you have trouble with squirles chewing your lines? I was told by a local producer that the squirls are "looking for a drink and Like the salty taste of bleach" What are you thoughts? Do you turn the vacume on when done or are you lines pitched enough so everything runs out by itself?
Thanks, Parker

Salmoneye
05-01-2003, 06:48 AM
No problem with the squirrels as of yet...But then I live in a village and have 2 outdoor cats that keep most varmints in check...The Red Squirrels have been totally wiped out, and the Greys are afraid to come down from the trees around the village...Only time I see them near the ground is in the fall when the Butternuts fall...

All my lines pitch enough to drain, and if I have a sag, I just start above it and 'help' that line drain...

No vacuum here...yet ;-)

Brian
05-02-2003, 04:35 PM
I went to bascoms today. I had a good time. I feel bad for everyone that is going tomorrow because we ate all the food!! :lol: Good show, worth going. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

Brian

Parker
05-02-2003, 09:19 PM
They need name tags so you know how your talking too. I met SAPHEAD but thats it from here. Saw alot of other people I knew from my area. I finally picked up that universal dumper I have been looking at forever. I will have vacume next season (on and off at least). had a great time and learned alot. you see how fast that guy set up lateral lines? I guess my method of cutting in drops useing one hand and your teeth to hold the line and your other hand to cut is not exactly textbook!!!! Definatly worth the trip. Lots of luck, Parker

Russell Lampron
05-03-2003, 07:15 AM
Parker,

I was talking to you about the dumping station when you were picking it
up after you had just bought it. I guess I should have asked for your
name. My partner and I and his father have been talking about that
dumping station and wheither we could use it or not. We are in Loudon
which is not too far from you if you want to come over and check out my
sugarhouse for ideas about the one you are building. We also learned
alot at the tubing seminar and went in and bought the tubing tools after
the seminar. I hope the dumping station works out for you.

Russ

Parker
05-04-2003, 05:06 AM
Russell
I would like to check out your setup. I am logging on loudon and could come over after work. Send a message with your phone # and I will be in touch. Thanks, Parker