PDA

View Full Version : selling syrup in nh

red maples
05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

Well I am planning on selling syrup, but not quite YET!!!! although in a year or 2 once I get some more equipment. more taps going and trees to tap. I do plan on selling it.

So what are the rules in NH. do you need a permit? Dare I say the words heath inspector??? does your operation need to be inspected. I know many of you do sell comercially, and am just looking to see what's involved???

Thanks
Brad

tuckermtn
05-19-2009, 03:14 AM
just need to have your name (or sugarhouse name) on the jugs , and have a grade label on it. Would be good to check with Vicky Smith from the state Dept. of Ag. She is the maple inspector- but its not a requirement for selling syrup- she is good- not out to get you- just point you in the right direction if you have areas to improve.

Russell Lampron
05-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Get in touch with the dept of agriculture and ask for the NH Maple Law booklet. It is free and tells you what you need to know to package and sell syrup in NH.

PerryW
05-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Make sure your syrup is filtered and standardized (use a temp. vs. density chart) and the syrup temp is more than 180 deg when you screw on the caps.

Amber Gold
05-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Get this book. It's a good resource. Pretty sure it can be found at Bascom's or your local Cooperative.

New Hampshire Maple Quality Control Manual By UNH cooperative, NH Dept. of AG and NH maple Producers Assoc. 90 Pgs.

red maples
05-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks guys, It seems pretty easy, I will look into those things

Brad