PDA

View Full Version : Pump Line

backyardsugarer
01-10-2005, 09:30 AM
I bought a nice stainless submersible electirc pump to get the sap from my truck to the surag shack (about 250 feet). Now I need some line or tubing. I can't use garden hose or else the syrup may taste like rubber. Does anyone have a suggestion for something that will not break the bank and roll up for storage. Thanks

Chris

michaelh05478
01-10-2005, 11:39 AM
If your sugar house is lower than the road I'd get a roll of 3/4" black plastic pipe and run it to the sugar house and than pump the sap from your truck to your holding tank. I've used a 20 ft water hose with no rubber taste in the sap.....A roll of 3/4" is around $45...

brookledge
01-10-2005, 06:02 PM
If you have a slope from your sugarhouse to your truck you can put up the black plastic pipe like a main line. That way when you are done you can disconect it and it will drain out on its own with out having to roll it up. The other option might be going to an RV store and buying water hose, its like garden hose but meant for drinking water. One problem might be that 250' of garden hose will have alot of friction loss and you might not get as much flow per minute as you would like
Keith

backyardsugarer
01-11-2005, 07:17 AM
It is up hill so I guess I will have to start looking for food grade hose.

Chris

mapleman9000
01-11-2005, 10:33 AM
It may be a better idea to use a vacuum to pull the sap to your house, that way you do not have the excess sap still in the line from the pump. If you left it in, it would spoil and you can't just let it run on the ground.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Chris,

What I do in situations like that is to get a roll of 3/4" or 1" cheap black plastic mainline for a few bucks a roll and roll it out. You can even lay it on the ground and put a quick coupler on the pump and one on the end of the hose and connect them together whenever you want to pump. Whenever you are done pumping, unhook them and drain the excess in the pipe into something like a five gallon bucket. Works great and you are not wasting anything.

If you can leave it up permantantly, then install it just like mainline. If not, then flush you line at least every couple of days. No need at all to roll it up!

Cheap and works great!!! :D :D