PDA

View Full Version : poison oak

3rdgen.maple
05-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Okay maplemen I got another question for you. Over the last couple years I have seen an increase in poison oak. Well I am alergic to the nasty crap. I went to TSC today and bought some roundup for poison oak. Was in a hurry as always and when I got home It says it also kills maples and various other trees. Great, the only trees I wanted to spray were the maples that had it on them. Mostly smaller trees that need another 5 years before I will tap them. Any suggestion out there as how to get rid of it without damage to the maples?

Justin Turco
05-14-2009, 07:28 AM
What if you cut the poison oak off down low then spray the "cut" only. Rather than using a lot of the stuff by spraying the leaves etc. Somebody out there may be able to confirm if this will kill the root or not.

cgentis@champaignlandmark
05-14-2009, 03:18 PM
You need to use a product called banvel,use this in mid summer when it is actively growing.This will not hurt the tree and will not kill any grass around tree,just weeds on the ground.You will want to mix some crop oil with the banvel to help it stick to the poison.

3rdgen.maple
05-14-2009, 10:13 PM
You need to use a product called banvel,use this in mid summer when it is actively growing.This will not hurt the tree and will not kill any grass around tree,just weeds on the ground.You will want to mix some crop oil with the banvel to help it stick to the poison.

What is banvel and where does one purchase it?

KenWP
05-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Banvel

http://www.howtogotoagsi.com/files/Banvel%20II.pdf

You have to get the instruction sheet with the product to find out other uses of it or ask your county agent.

NedL
05-20-2009, 12:17 PM
I used Ivy killer the same way used described for poison ivy. Cut the stalk and spray the stub. Worked great.

maplehound
05-20-2009, 08:36 PM
I believe that RounUp is safe on trees as long as you are not spraying it on the leaves. It should be OK to spray it on the trunk of the tree. It will however kill any small trees around that get some on their leaves.

KenWP
05-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I sprayed some box elders the other day and it killed them quicker then the gras they were in. Granted they were only a foot high. Am glad I don't even have poisen ivy around here for some reason. Now to get rid of the jimson weed.