PDA

View Full Version : Sap Pump

Dan W
05-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I am thinking about getting one of those 275 gallon poly tanks in the wire cage to use as a storage tank. What kind of 110v pump would you recommend to get sap into a 35 gallon feed tank? There is going to be a float switch in the feed tank to make it automatic. I collect with a 55 gallon drum on a trailer pulled by a 4 wheeler. With a couple of quick connects, I could use the same pump to fill the storage tank too. Thanks for the advice!

3rdgen.maple
05-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Harbour Freight has alot of cheap pumps if you have one around you. I bought a stainless steel sump pump a few years ago for transfering sap and it has worked very well. I cannot recall the proper name for it but it is basically a sump pump but will suck up bark leaves etc. without damage to the impellar.

brookledge
05-13-2009, 09:14 PM
I'd say the cheapest way to go would be a submersable sump pump. Although the diameter of the opening in the cage tank might be a problem.
Are you thinking on something through the top or off the valve on the bottom. And is it going to be subject to freezing?
There are many utility type pumps in catalogs like Northern
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=pumps&Nty=1&D=pumps&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial
There are other catalog companies like this one also
Keith