PDA

View Full Version : What would you charge a local restaurant?

maple marc
05-13-2009, 10:20 AM
In the past we have made syrup and candy just to give as gifts. This year we made a bit more--I know, a drop in the bucket to you guys--and we would like to recoup some of our expenses. A new restaurant in town asked if we would sell them a gallon. I was thinking of charging $45 for a gallon jug, which is the price a nearby syrup producer charges retail. What do you think? This is excellent mid-season syrup.

Marc

KenWP
05-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Sounds reasonable. If you sell to low then the next time they would expect the same price.

ennismaple
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Charge the going rate for your area. Around here it's a lot more than $45. If he was buying 20 gallons I'd give him a better price but for a gallon they should pay retail.

slammer3364
05-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I was asking 65$ and got it

MainelyMaple
05-13-2009, 03:24 PM
i got $55 a gallon

Haynes Forest Products
05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Maple Marc remember you need to diliver it and I know it gets exciting to brag that your syrup is being sold at the resturant.But your now producer packager and distributer. If it all works out see if they will allow you to sell small containers for the people that ask about the great syrup they just had. Even cards at the check out will send them calling

maple marc
05-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Haynes, I really like this picture you're painting for me, but I'm not sure if you're advising me to raise or lower my price!!

Marc

fred
05-13-2009, 07:59 PM
raise it to at least 55 imo

Haynes Forest Products
05-14-2009, 01:19 AM
I would price it at a fair price right away and then you wont have any sleepless nights because you were giving it away and now you need to raise it and your in a bind because they want more and they are commited to the lower price. It always breeds hard feelings.

NH Maplemaker
05-14-2009, 07:40 AM
A few years back I was selling syrup to a couple of restaurants for there breakfast trade. I treat them as I would any other wholesale customer. I had a price for my retail and gave the restaurants 10% off that price ! That way when price went up,they payed the new price minus the 10%. I was selling them Bulk 5 gal containers. So I also charged a deposit on the 5 gal container, because if you didn't you wouldn't see your container again!(the help would steal it) So basically they only pay the deposit once as long as they returned the container when they got the next 5 gal. You could give a little bigger % off if you wanted, depending on how bad you want the customer. But don't cut your self short. As Haynes said,they will try an hold you to the lower price! Hope this helps ! Jim L.

Mac
05-14-2009, 08:29 AM
You can shear a sheep twice a year, you can only butcher it once. All good advice here... BTW I don't have any sheep and don't really know how many times a year you can shear em!!! LOL... and is it sheer or shear:mrgreen:

paul
05-14-2009, 11:18 AM
mac

you show 68 taps,how many gallons do you think this restaurant is going to need and can you supply him with that syrup. Those are the questions i would be thinking of. just my two cents.

Mac
05-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Paul...
I think you meant "Marc"... not "Mac"...

paul
05-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Right Thanks For Setting Me Straight

maple marc
05-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Paul,
With 30 gallons in the basement, I certainly can't supply a very busy restaurant! But this is a new small place in a small town, and they were looking for some local products. It might take them a while to go through that first gallon. If I can't keep up with their demand I'll call in you guys!

They are also interested in selling local products in the front window display, but if I were to sell small jugs to them at "wholesale" prices so that they could sell at "retail", I don't think the math works out too well for me. Better to sell for full retail at the farmer's market, don't you think?

Thanks for all the ideas.

paul
05-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Maple Marc

Once they taste your syrup it`s going to be a very busy place and syrup sales are going to go though the roof.Every one in town will know were that sweet stuff came from and your phone will be ringing off the hook.Start thinking expansion, more taps, are you ready for that?

NH Maplemaker
05-15-2009, 08:43 AM
maple marc, yes the math only works when you are making more than what you can sell retail your self!! In most cases wholesale is better than bulk prices, and it also gets your name out in the community from your labels on your jugs. Hopefully when they run out they will come and find you at the farmers market. Jim L.

Amber Gold
05-15-2009, 03:41 PM
You also need to take into account your time. Are you going to sell enough syrup at a farmer's market to justify your time driving there, setting up, sitting there all day, and etc.?

Benefit with selling wholesale is it sits in the window selling while you're sitting on your couch. The money's not as good, but it requires very little time. I'll only sell out of my sugarhouse and wholesale and then bulk whatever's left over. Very little time involved selling this way.

220 maple
05-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Maple Marc
Because I had a good season I have been able to expand my sales in the retail market area. I perfer to barrel my extra syrup and wholesale however my Mother in Law and Wife keeps finding me new customers. Needless to say this past weekend I delivered syrup to a Hardware-Antique Store and a store that sells home grown products. Most businesses need to mark-up 30%. 15% covers their help 15% is their profit. So I try to discount to help them achieve their goal of 30%. The last three store owners I have dealt with asked me what I thought the public would pay? I usually tell them what I think the buying public would be willing to pay for each item even though it is their final call on what to price each indiviual item. I always suggest to price as low as possible simply because volume with a small mark-up will pay the bills also. I would rather take them freshly jugged syrup ever month than have it set on their shelves all summer and I take them syrup next Spring.
My two cents worth....

Mark 220 Maple