PDA

View Full Version : new project

tuckermtn
05-11-2009, 06:31 PM
my "crow like" instincts paid off today. See something shiny, got to go back and find out what it is...

Saw this unit being removed from a school kitchen - I think its a steamer unit. From what I understand the unit on the right below the stainless box is the steam boiler- and the steam was used to heat racks in the boxes and as a heat source for the water-jacketed "bowls". The steamer unit doesn't work. But I think I might pull the bowls out and make some wheeled carts for them. They are way bigger than we need- the small one is 40 gal cap. and the bigger one is 60 gals. sort of like the "step savers" I have seen on the trader...

open to suggestions...

-Eric

Haynes Forest Products
05-11-2009, 06:48 PM
The unit on the right is the steam generator and the steam kettles are for cooking. Im sure you know that. Now lets sit back and think about this you now have a steam jacketed finisher and bottling unit if you work it right. You might have a evaporator if you wanted to go the steam route. I think you should get the boiler working first then have some fun. That is a nice find. Please share with us how you wound up with it.

Haynes Forest Products
05-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Im sorry I forgot WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TapME
05-11-2009, 07:04 PM
you have seen the one at bascoms, a wood fired steam boiler to the evaporator. I can see the boil from my house now. Nice find

benchmark
05-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Hmmm that's funny, I've got a similar unit like that, but its just one pot with a water/steam jacket by itself. All the connections are there, I'm just trying to figure out what to use it for now.

tuckermtn
05-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Haynes- It came out of the kitchen at the school my wife works at (and where Parker and I went to high school) - I asked the facilities manager about it and he said sure, I could have it since he was only going to scrap it. Price was defintely right for me...

not all the connections for the steam generator are intact...its a low pressure "Market Forge" unit- think its supposed to run at around 5 psi, so not too hot. Just poked around on ebay- holy s%$# those things are expensive...

plan on making a call to the manufacturer tomorrow to find out a little more about the rig. Might also give Gardner Stetson from Lempster a call as I know he runs a rig with steam...he is on a much bigger scale though...

could make a nice finisher/bottler- but at 40 and 60 gals the kettles are a bit big. Fun to mull over the possibilties

3rdgen.maple
05-11-2009, 09:43 PM
When I looked at those picture I imagined one kettle full of clams the other full of Lobster a big keg sitting on ice next to that rig and a whole bunch of us traders at your house on a saturday night.

KenWP
05-11-2009, 11:45 PM
All else you got SS to play with. Since it cost you nill you can cut it up if you have to.

Haynes Forest Products
05-12-2009, 12:45 AM
tuckermtn Dont cut it up until you get a few pictures out to the beer guys I will bet there are a few that would pay nicely for it. Its just up there alley the way its set up. Low pressure steam is alot easer to deal with and doesnt take out the neighbors unless you have a buddy that pulls the pesky relief vale and replaces with a plug because it kept making noises.

Jim Brown
05-12-2009, 06:00 AM
That's a steam operated evaporator if I ever saw one!!

Jim

WF MASON
05-12-2009, 06:01 AM
I've had a couple of people in the past ask me about making them "kettle corn" poppers to use at fairs ect. , theses pots would work for that I think.
WOW is right, I alway find somthing here to put a smile on my face.

KenWP
05-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I just figured what to do with that thing after plucking the petals off dandelions all last night. You could put old Jim out of business pretty quick.

Dave Y
05-12-2009, 11:10 AM
tuckermtn
If you Have A Hobart service center in you area they can and will service that equipment. I have one in my school kitchen and it looks almost identical to the one you have. Hobart services it for me. you could put a larger boiler on it.
Good Luck.

Haynes Forest Products
05-12-2009, 11:19 AM
whereare you storing it could you give me the GPS numbers:cool:

hardermaple
05-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I second the motion on filling one with clams, one with lobsta, a keg of beer on ice. I'll bring the keg.

TapME
05-12-2009, 08:19 PM
I just figured what to do with that thing after plucking the petals off dandelions all last night. You could put old Jim out of business pretty quick.

It's been a long time since I had some of that wine.

Oaknut
05-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Better make it two kegs..... Just in case!