PDA

View Full Version : Red Maples

valleyman
05-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I have a mix of reds and sugars that I can tap. One of the reds I found for next season is huge. It has 5 arms branching off the main trunk all at the same point about 3 feet up. Each arm or trunk is at least 10 " diam. Am I safe tapping each one or should I be less greedy and tap maybe three of them?

KenWP
05-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I have one of those kind of trees also and I can't get sap out of all the arms. I think it's because I have to hang the buckets on the north side for some of them. I tapped several of them and since it's my first year I have lots of room to move taps around the trunk before I run out of space.

valleyman
05-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Ken,
I'm moving up to 25 taps for 2010. woo woo. I only had 10 this season and it was enough to get me hooked. I'm planning on building a more advanced backyard evaporator so I may pick your brain for some advice. I'm thinking of doing a barrel as well.

On the ledge
05-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I too only had 10 taps this year and plan more next year . What did you boil on this year?

3rdgen.maple
05-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I would go with the less greedy side of things. That way you have room for taps in the years to come.

valleyman
05-12-2009, 01:14 PM
On the ledge,

Just about a gallon. I made several small batches and put it up in 4 and 8 oz ball jars. My batches were all over the place. 1st too thin, ather batch too thick, but most came out great. I used the sheeting method off a spatula or large spoon.