Thompson's Tree Farm
05-11-2009, 03:52 AM
1 cup of flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup plus 2 T. milk
1 egg
4 tsp. butter
1 and 1/2 cup (insert your name here)Pure Maple Syrup

Bring syrup and butter to a good boil, pour into a shallow 8x10 baking dish and set aside. Mix the dry ingredients. Blend milk and egg. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix . Drop biscuit mix into syrup/butter mixture. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

I ate this dessert all my life. I only found out this past year that my mother had concocted it and won a recipe contest with the Grange in the early 1950's.

I'm presenting it this morning because my Mom passed away last evening at the age of 82. She made the sugar and cream, kept the books, was chief of sales, kept the meals in front of the crew, orchestrated the school kids visits, helped to gather, named the horses, and yes, she was a sugar maker...she burned the pans.

With Love,
Doug

Father & Son
05-11-2009, 04:27 AM
Doug,
Sorry for your loss but it sounds like the memories will have her in your heart forever. You and your family are in our prayers.

Jim

Fred Henderson
05-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Our prayer and thoughts for your Mom and the family.

Fred

Grade "A"
05-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Doug,
We will be thinking of you and your family. Your mother sounds like she was a great person.

Russell Lampron
05-11-2009, 05:17 AM
Doug

Sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like your mom was a great person. Thank you for the recipe. I can't wait to try it.

maplecrest
05-11-2009, 05:47 AM
sorry to here about our loss,was on the phone with my sugarmaker mom last nite. talking about my latest moves, as she talks about flavor and fear of change.over the years cant change to oil change flavor, cant use a filter press change flavor, cant use an r/o change flavor. dont change evporators change in flavor. as i child i remember walking in the kitchen as she was refining maple sugar to work in a cotton candy machine. like your mom doug she won fist prize at the vt state fair and gave the rights to the vt maple sugar asociation. as you see maple cotton candy every where. thank you for the recipe i copyed it for my mom jeff

NH Maplemaker
05-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Doug, In my mind your Mom is what maple sugaring is all about !! Family ,friends, and the memories that last us all our lives !! Your family will be in our prayers ! I will try her recipe to night in her memory.God bless her!! Jim.L

KenWP
05-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Doug:
You can now say your Mother's recipe has crossed borders. I just took a batch of it out of the oven. Looks good and smells even better. What a easy way to use maple syrup and I love biscuits.
I have to wait till supper time now to taste it.
Thanks Doug for the recipe I will store it away for future use.

Ken

JohnsSugarShack
05-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Doug, sorry to here of your loss our prayers go out to you and your family. Thanks for the recipe the wife and I will definitely give it a try.
John

KenWP
05-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I was a bad boy it smelled too good so I ate some well it was hot. Haven't had something like that in 30 years.

TapME
05-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Thompson maple short cake is how I marked it in the receipt box. Your mother and mine (she had a sweet tooth) are the reasons that we love to make this stuff. Thanks for sharing and of course you are in our prayers. Lou

chrisnjake9
05-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Thank you for the recipe. I'm sorry to hear of your loss, we will pray for you and yours.

twobears1224
05-12-2009, 04:53 AM
DOUG:i,am sorry to hear your mom has passed.i to printed off her short cake recipe and look forward to trying it..it sounds good.

delbert

JohnsSugarShack
05-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Well couldn't wait got home from work tonight and made some maple short cake, tried it hot out of the oven and I must say it was excellent. Thank you, our family will enjoy it for years to come.

Fred Henderson
05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Doug, Bonnie made some and we had it for lunch. It was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Your Mom was a very talented woman.

3% Solution
05-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Doug,
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Just remember you have memories of your mom and family together in the spring making syrup that other families cannot imagine how wonderful it is.
We will say a prayer for your mom and your family.
We will try the Thompson's Maple Short Cake.
You have a large family here, most you have never met!!

Dave

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-12-2009, 06:09 PM
3% and everyone,
Many years ago, a wise man told me that as I went through life, I would meet my family and some of them I would be related to. He was exactly right!
Thanks everyone,
Doug

twobears1224
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
if you haven,t tryed this..you really should!!!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!
i made one today and i,ll be making many more!!

delbert

jason grossman
05-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Doug, sorry to hear about your mom passing, amy and i will keep you and your family in our thougths and prayers. jason

maple flats
05-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, I just said a prayer for her. She will now make the best maple shortcake for the Lord.

paul
05-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Doug
Sorry to hear of the loss of your mom.Our prayers go out to you and your family.
Paul

Dennis H.
05-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks for passing on the recipe, what a great way to carry on a tradition.

I made a batch this evening and we all enjoyed, I even had enough to take some over to my parents.

maple marc
05-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Doug,
We made your mom's short cake recipe tonight for dessert. It was great. What a nice way to honor your mom by posting her own recipe.

Marc

Jim Brown
05-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Doug we too made the dessert last evening and it was a big hit.
Thanks for sharing and our prayers for your family

Jim

brookledge
05-30-2009, 05:32 PM
When the recipe says 1/3cup plus 2T milk
Is the 2 T teaspoons or tablespoons?
Thanks
Keith

KenWP
05-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Try teaspoons and if its to thick add the extra 4 teaspoons to make it tablespoons.

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Tablespoons, My Mom taught me that too, capital T, tablespoon, smallt teaspoon:)