PDA

View Full Version : need some mainline advice for a rookie

ctjim
05-10-2009, 08:34 PM
looking to grow a bit and get away from so many buckets. i'm looking to set a main line in 2 different bushes i have going. my ? is can i run a 1/2in main line w/ a slight downhill pitch and no vacum pump? if i can use the mainline set up i can probably get up to about 50 taps on each setup, again would 1/2 in be ok or should i go larger? also what would be an ideal length main line to run in this situation? there is a slight grade that rises in one of the bushes and the other is fairly flat but i think i can use a small step ladder to raise enough pitch for a decent flow. thanks for any help, i also have been studying a sugarmakers field manual i got from bascoms and its good but i'm trying to calculate out this mainline but i need some more info b4 i get started. thanks again jim.

brookledge
05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
If you are going to start from scratch I'd go with 3/4". It doesn't cost that much more and then you can use the manifolds that you drill a hole in the main line. Those are cheaper than cutting the mainline and having to use stainless steel clamps.
Anyways yes you can set it up without vac.
On the flat section you can go along ways by starting off as low as you can at your tank and then begin to rise. unlike buckets you can tap as high as you can reach since you don't have to worry about removing the bucket.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-11-2009, 08:20 PM
If you are only using gravity and small amounts of taps, then for gravity, 1/2 is easily good for up to 200 taps. You are right on track with raising the upper end and tapping off of a ladder. I have quite a few trees I tap this way where they are on land with very little slope.