PDA

View Full Version : Sugar House Smoke Stack

MaplePancakeMan
05-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I've been having a shack built 18x 24' for my 2x6 evaporator. I had a question Fire code says that i need atleast double walled pipe where it passes by any wood within x amount of feet. and 3' past the highest point of the building. I want to get triple walled pipe but really am not sure where to get it. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Maplewalnut
05-10-2009, 06:46 PM
MPM,

I ordered a bunch of metalbestos chimney pipe on the internet. A place in california I believe called "venting systems'. They had the best prices and free shipping back then. Hold onto your shorts, stainless triple wall will set up back a pretty penny.

maple flats
05-10-2009, 07:23 PM
I made my own triple wall. My stack is 12" heavy gauge galv from Leader. I then made 16" from 28 gauge sheet metal spaced out with little metal spacers i made and then 20" the same. Going up from the evap it is single wall until about 2 feet lelow the lower cord of the trusses (ie, ceiling height, if it had a ceiling), from there the 2 added layers are suspended from the trusses on chain and steel support rods, and this tripple wall goes tight to the steel roofing but onlu the single wall extends thru the roof. In my location we are required to get a permit and be inspected by the fire dept before we can burn wood, the fire dept really liked my design and the wood is protected. Think of it this way, for a single stack you must have 36" clearance to combustables, 1 layer of tin spaced at least 1 inch away cuts the distance to 18" needed, a nother layer cuts the distance to 9" and if you need more a nother layer cuts it to 4.5". I made my 16 by assembling 2 8" to make the pipe and the 20" was 2 @ 10" joined. If i redo it I will go with flat stock and screw it (or pop rivet) together all in 1 piece because it will be easier to keep it round. Mine is far from a neat round circle but it works good and look OK. For my spacers i made v shapes with feet on the v. I pop riveted the feet to the stack before assembling and had several around the circumfrance to hold the position. Doing it this way cost very little and the wood is protected from the heat. The first season i had this I put a thermometer on the hot side of the closest truss and the temp was under 120 degrees with the evap at full fire for a few hours. I do have mine at 2" spacing but 1" would still work to specs.

wanting to get into it
05-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Just curious as to why you want triple wall? My dad is a retired fire inspector of 25 years and would never recommend triple wall pipe. I had purchased a house last year and the first thing to go in was the wood furnace. I went to get the chimney pipe (triple wall) and he said no, bad idea. The reason is this, triple wall pipe will actually create more creosote due to the insulating and condensation. Come to find out, the places that sell chimney pipe around here don't even stock triple wall, only double wall. Everyone here thinks it is a waste of money and chimney fire risk. There are more firemen on this site also that could chime in also. Might save your shack and a couple of bucks also.:)

markct
05-12-2009, 10:15 PM
my thoughts on stacks and stovepipe in the sugarhouse is that while it should be safe and keep heat off the nearby wood, there isnt the need for such special stuff to help reduce the danger is a chimney fire occurs, this is due to a couple things, for one the stack rarely gets cool enough for creosote to form in and evaporator, and second its not like living quarters where you could be asleep and not know there was a problem till too late, whenever a fire is going your basicly right there and awake, well atleast ya should be!

PerryW
05-12-2009, 10:57 PM
I just took a 36" x 36" piece of sheet metal (with a 15" hole cut in the center) and nailed it over the 32" x 32" hole cut in the roof. Guess that leaves about 8" of clearance to the wood.

Probably violates every code in the book, but it ain't burned down in 20 years.

And as MarkCT says, creosote does not seem to be a problem. (Well at least I haven't ever cleaned the stack in 20 years.)

maple ridge tappers
05-13-2009, 09:13 PM
I am a firefighter, but not really sure of fire codes. They very from county to county, as well as state to state. I burn firewood in my home, and I use a double wall stainless chimney. This is a double wall chimney with insulation between the walls. It is quite pricey, but you can put your hand on it without burning it. I've never been on a fire call for a chimney fire with this kind of application. Where the chimney exits the wall on my house there is only 3" of clearance between the chimney and OSB. Been burning this way for 10 years no problem, and the chimney is a good as when I put it up.

aviboy97
12-06-2020, 07:10 PM
Hi everyone,

In almost done building a sugar shack out of pallets for my 2x3 evaporator. My shack is basically 8x8 and I’m struggling with how to do the smoke stack. Should I cut a hole out of the back of the shack and go that route, or go out the roof?

How much separation between the stack and wood do I need? Is there any type of fire insulation I can put around the opening to prevent a fire?

I can’t seem to find much online. I really don’t want to burn this thing to the ground.

DocsMapleSyrup
12-06-2020, 10:50 PM
Through the roof will give you the best draft.

CTguy923
12-07-2020, 03:15 PM
if you look around you can find some good deals on class A chimney pipe of facebook marketplace, i bought 15 feet of metalbestos with a cap for less then i would have paid for one piece new

Zucker Lager
12-08-2020, 01:02 PM
I ran my 6" single walled pipe through an old 3 foot long piece of 8" Metalbestos that I installed some spacers (bolts) inside so the 6" pipe would stay centered. The 8" is 2" from any wood, and is flashed on top using some aluminum sheet. When I am not using my arch I remove a section of pipe inside the shack and drop down the top sections and my "oversized" rain hood closes off the 8" metalbestos pipe top to the weather. Second picture shows it in the closed position. Jay

21654 21655

aviboy97
12-08-2020, 01:13 PM
Thank you for the details. Looks like a very nice set up.

My shack is a shack in every sense of the term. I just didn’t think about the pipe when building and now I’m left to improvise.

With how my rafters are spaced in relation to my very small shack, I think I should be good running double wall pipe through the metal roof while the pipe is 3-4” from the rafters. I thought for extra measure about wrapping the near rafters, where the pipe will pass, in extra fire blanket I have from when I insulated my arch and put metal flashing around that. However, that leaves my arch only 12” away from either wall. While the arch is insulated with blanket and brick, I’m not sure this is enough clearance from the arch.

Think this should be safe?

My problem is I built my shack too small. I just didn’t think of clearance of the pipe/arch or keeping the arch far enough away from any walls. My shack is basically 8x8. Made from pallets.

I’m left getting creative without burning this thing to the ground. I just want to be safe.

wobbletop
12-09-2020, 09:41 AM
Hi everyone,

In almost done building a sugar shack out of pallets for my 2x3 evaporator. My shack is basically 8x8 and I’m struggling with how to do the smoke stack. Should I cut a hole out of the back of the shack and go that route, or go out the roof?

How much separation between the stack and wood do I need? Is there any type of fire insulation I can put around the opening to prevent a fire?

I can’t seem to find much online. I really don’t want to burn this thing to the ground.

I'm building a 10x12 shack. Walls and roof are framed, and I'm working on the roof sheeting, cupola, and chimney so I was struggling like you are.

I've decided to go with chimney through the roof. I decided against out the wall, since I would need more double/triple wall pipe along the side of the building than if it went out the roof. The pipe inside the building can just be single wall as long as it's far enough away from anything (18" I believe). The evaporator will be in the middle of the shack so that shouldn't be a problem. You can also get a ceiling support for the chimney that I think should be easy to frame between the trusses and start the double/triple wall pipe from there. 6' of double/triple wall should be good.

I found that the brand "duratech" was the cheapest and also available at local hardware stores. This is what I got (hope links work). the ceiling mount also includes a rain cap which is good.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/duravent-duraplus-chimney-length-6-in-x-36-in-0641812p.html#srp
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/duravent-interior-installation-kit-6-in-0641817p.html#srp

Documentation for duravent:
https://duravent.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/PIDURATECH_L874_DuraTechCanada_Install-Instructions.pdf

maple flats
12-09-2020, 02:56 PM
Class A double wall pipe specs at a 1 or 2" clearance to combustibles.

Ghost
12-15-2020, 03:51 PM
https://hartford.craigslist.org/mat/d/hartford-selkirk-chimney/7238563061.html

Aaron Stack
12-24-2021, 09:59 AM
I ran my 6" single walled pipe through an old 3 foot long piece of 8" Metalbestos that I installed some spacers (bolts) inside so the 6" pipe would stay centered. The 8" is 2" from any wood, and is flashed on top using some aluminum sheet. When I am not using my arch I remove a section of pipe inside the shack and drop down the top sections and my "oversized" rain hood closes off the 8" metalbestos pipe top to the weather. Second picture shows it in the closed position. Jay

21654 21655
"
Great pics and explanation here. I am just about to punch through the roof. For your roof jack and flashing, did that need to be the larger 8" size, or did you keep to the 6" pipe size?