PDA

View Full Version : birch syrup

chrisnjake9
05-10-2009, 03:06 PM
was wondering if any body on trader makes birch syrup and if they do id like to buy some to try thanks jason

northernbirch
05-10-2009, 03:23 PM
We're just starting to make birch syrup. Tried it last year, bought an evaporator this year and are in the middle of our "season" right now. To try some, the guy to talk to is BC Birch Tapper - moose meadows farm.

KenWP
05-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I find it tastes sweeter then maple. Dark as molassas also. I would have made more but the maple season got so busy I was tired of looking at boiling liquid by the time it ended. If next year turns out different I can put more time into it.

chrisnjake9
05-10-2009, 05:14 PM
dose it taste like maple syrup i tried sorghum syrup this year and that is pretty gross taste kinda like alcoholic molasses defiantly isn't going to take the place of maple

BC Birch Tapper
05-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi Jason
Birch & maple syrup are as different as night & day. When we do tastings here I say take all you know about maple & put it aside.
The equipment is the same & the collection & that's about it.
The difference is due mainly to the different kinds of sugars & sugar content itself.
We do sell & ship syrup as well as a production manual
check us out
www.moosemeadowsfarm.ca

Brent
05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
some friends brought me some from BC.

If you want to save some money, go to a local drug store and get the smallest bottle of castor oil they have. Close enough to the real thing that you'll get that idea out of your system in a hurry. (hmmmm .... pun )

KenWP
05-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I have almost a gallon of the stuff made and its not that bad. Tastes sweeter then maple. Sort of like sponge toffee. Haveing never tasted castor oil I can't compare.