PDA

View Full Version : Delaval Mulk Tank

Amber Gold
05-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I bought a 600 gal Delaval Bulk tank model #R515. I have all the parts that came with it (plug rod for the drain and the dipstick). The dipstick has measurements on it. Does anyone have a chart which correlates readings to gallons in the tank?

Also the tank has two UV lights in the top covers, one in each. The lights are in rough shape and will need to be replaced. They are just 2' flourescent bulbs so it should be too hard to find a replacment setup. Will they be effective in killing bacteria in sap? I'd think so if they used them for milk. I'd rather go this route instead of putting an inline UV treatment system.

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-09-2009, 06:38 PM
AG,
If you find someone with a chart, it will only be approximate. Tanks are calibrated as they sit in a milk room and if they are moved, they will sit at a slightly different angle or whatever. If you get a chart, it will be measured in lbs. For a gallon measurement, divide the lbs by 8.6.
UV light will only penetrate sap a very slight distance. The lights currently mounted will be of little assistance in reducing the bacteria in the sap itself. When the tank is empty, they will limit bacterial growth on the tank surface. For an effective reduction in bacteria in the sap, you need the in line system.
Doug

Amber Gold
05-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks Doug.

If the UV lights would not be very effective in sap, then how well did they work in milk?

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Frankly Josh, I don't know. I've milked cows all my life and never heard of anyone using a uv light on milk.
Doug

DS Maple
05-09-2009, 08:28 PM
I'll bet the lights are there to sterilize the tank when it is empty. We have a light installed in one of our sugarhouse storage tanks and it stays on all season long. With the lamp installed, this tank remains the cleanest. I'd highly recommend getting the factory lamps working on your tank. You'll be thankful when cleaning time comes around after the season.

benchmark
05-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I was wondering if there was a conversion from lbs. to gallons, using the dipstick. That makes sense dividing the number of lbs. by 8.6, never thought of that. Thanks.

Jim Brown
05-12-2009, 11:19 AM
benchmark-I would think the easiest way would be to find the volume of liquid per inch in the tank. and then just add.(1 inch= 10 gallon or what ever the number is)

our two cents
Jim

KenWP
05-12-2009, 12:54 PM
On a round tank the bottom inches would hold less then the middle inchs. Take a lot of figuering out. if it was square would be easy.

maplecrest
05-12-2009, 01:22 PM
to figure the volume of that round tank is "pie" 3.14 times the radiusx2 "squared",times the height. think of the tank standing up

KenWP
05-12-2009, 01:33 PM
But side ways as you fill it the tank gets wider. The round edges make it hard to figure out what the different widths of the tank would hold. You don't use the tank standing on end its laying on it's side.

maplecrest
05-12-2009, 03:38 PM
i understand that, but to better figure the volume of that tank from the formula you have to stand it up. josh you get me the measurements of that tank and i will tell you what it holds. i do it everyday with my job.

Amber Gold
05-12-2009, 04:18 PM
thanks. I'll try and get them tonight.

Amber Gold
05-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Maplecrest, the inside of the tank is 95.5"L x 42"W x 40.5"D.

KenWP
05-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Roughly 552 gallons takeing in the difference of the width and depth.

Haynes Forest Products
05-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Only in Canada could a round tank have 3 dementions You guys need to turn the heat up your starting to fade.:lol:

KenWP
05-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Better read that again its a yank milk tank takes a Canauck to figure it out. Well maybe figure it out. I just like to put my 2 pesos worth in.

Amber Gold
05-13-2009, 10:01 AM
It's shaped like a round bottom cage tank. It has a round bottom w/ vertical sides. It's not oval in shape, hence the 3 dimensions.

Daryl
05-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Just to let all know, to find the volume of a cube multiply length x width x height x .004329 will give gallons. All diminsions are in inches. The above size would work out to 703 gal. minus for the rounded corners and lid area.

Haynes Forest Products
05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Well that makes it clear as mud. This reminds me of the time I gave my wife a mesurment for a peice of glass and she wanted to know what side the top was just in case the guy at the store asked.

KenWP
05-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I give up. The .004329 works if its round also.

HazensNotchSugarShack
05-14-2009, 05:34 PM
It's shaped like a round bottom cage tank. It has a round bottom w/ vertical sides. It's not oval in shape, hence the 3 dimensions.
Josh
What shape is the top round or is it open. If it's round like the bottom you know the total volume is 600 gal depth of the tank is 40.5 inches. to graduate a dipstick [U]down 20.25 would be 300 gal. I would need to know the length of the flat to be exact but roughly 10.125 inches down would be 450 gal. +

PS just picked up a 550 container and an open 150 sugar house tank getting ready for next year!

Rick

maple flats
05-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Those guesses on volumn will only be close if the tank is uniformly round or more exactly a half round. Any tank i have seen with a rounded bottom is more of a squatted half circle with extended sides towards the top, in other words the bottom portion has most on the curve and the higher you go up the sides the closer they get to being straight sides. I measure mine by using a water meter I have and while filling it I watch the meter. At every 10 gal I put a mark on the a clear tube i have going up outside the tank (it is just inside the sugarhouse wall). This tube acts as a level guage. Good accuracy that way. I have a dipstick for 2 of my tanks but without knowing EXACTLY how they were leveled in the milkhouse you can never know. I have heard that milk tanks are regularly re calibrated periodically because levels change as settling and shifting occurs with the tank and it's foundation. But when all is said and done you do not really need a precise measure, a close estimate is good enough. With mine the main level mark i use is one labeled "stop firing evaporator". This is when I no longer add wood. From here I have enough to run all sap into the evaporator and maintain a good level in the pans until next boil.