PDA

View Full Version : MN MSPA meeting this coming weekend

StewieSugar
05-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Anyone going to the MN Maple Syrup Producer's Assoc meeting this weekend?

I've never been there; is it worth the two hour drive?

http://mnmaple.org/events.htm

markcasper
05-10-2009, 01:53 AM
Are Wisconsin maple people welcome?

RileySugarbush
05-10-2009, 06:25 AM
We won't tell!

benchmark
05-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Is the general public welcome? Have you attended before John?

StewieSugar
05-18-2009, 06:25 AM
I attended this weekend, and it was well worth the drive. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I had my ride pick me up at 1:30, which cut short my attendance, but I enjoyed the time I was there.

The day started out with two speakers: Bob Koch from MN Dept of Ag talking about three invasive species of pests: Asian Longhorned Beatle, Gypsy Moth, and Emerald Ash Borer. Lee Frelich from U of M then talked about the evolution of maple forests and the impact of earth worms. Both talks were interesting and educational.

Following the talks was lunch followed by the regular meeting of finances, election of officers, news, crop reports (at 23 taps, I think I was the smallest outfit; the largest at 3,800 taps), meeting new members (about 6-8, including me). I had to leave about that time, but they had a maple syrup contest and photo contest followed by two tours.

I was there about 4 hours, and I wish I could have stayed longer. I'll know better next time and reserve the entire day. The folks I did meet were friendly and eager to talk about maple.

Yes; the public is welcome at these events. They can participate in everything except the voting of officers.

Yes; Wisconsinites are welcome to join the MMSPA. I guess there already are a few members from Wisconsin, and more are welcome.

They have two meetings a year; one in spring and one in fall. I did not pick up when or where the fall 2009 meeting will be, but I'm sure they'll post it on their web site.

Besides having to leave early, my biggest disappointment was not meeting anyone from the MapleTrader to put a face to some of these posts. Maybe next time...