PDA

View Full Version : New evaporator

GregMVT
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi All,
I put in an order last week for a new Inferno 3x8 arch with Patriot (raised flue) pans and a steamaway. I've never seen how an arch is bricked for a raised flue. Does anyone have pictures they could share? I know what Leader claims as a boiling rate for this set up but the reality is that it's usually lower. Can anyone with a similiar setup give me an idea what they are getting?

Thanks for the help

Greg

JohnsSugarShack
05-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Greg, I also put and order in a couple weeks ago for a 2x6 wood fired with patriot pans. I haven't bricked an arch of this type before but from what I've read on this forum you definitely want to put 1" arch board in first and then the fire brick. From what everyones saying it will increase the efficiency quit a bit. Mapleman3, Amber Gold and Uncle Tucker are a couple that I can think of that show some good pictures on bricking Uncle Tuckers is a drop flue but looks great. Good luck with the new evaporator, hate to wish time away but can't wait to fire up next spring.

OhioMapleMan
05-08-2009, 11:22 AM
http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu10/OhioMapleMan/New%20Arch/
Here is a link to my new leader arch that I did January, 2009. It is a 2 x 6 with drop flues.
Roger

ELM_DALE_MAPLE
05-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Roger,
Real nice job on your set-up!! I can't wait till the upcoming season!!

Amber Gold
05-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Greg,

I bricked my evaporator this past season. There's a thread on bricking here:

http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=5093

Here's my experiances this year with issues I had:

http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=6054

I was on Maplepros website and found these directions:

http://www.cdl-dallaire.com/upload/public/File/Owner%27s%20manual%20wood%20evaporator.pdf

I was planning on tinkering with my bricking this year anyways and am going to try it out with these directions. I'm hoping that by bringing the to 8" I'll keep the flame in the pan longer and get a better boil in the back. I don't know if you need to fill in the arch, leader doesn't recommend it. I have a cleanout hatch in the back and can see down the inside of the arch when it's going...needless to say it looks pretty awesome! From what I can tell flame stays up in the pan so I don't think it does anything. I'm going to rebrick per these directions and fire it filled and not filled and see if it makes a difference. I also didn't taper my top bricks which I intend to do. I also just bricked the firebox and used just insulation board in the back of the arch.

KenWP
05-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I went to D&G today to check out the sale and the store was empty almost. They sold all there drops and bottles and you name it. I checked out the big evaporator in the show room. I can only hope to have enough sap to make that work.
I hate asking for prices of things wish these dealers would put a price tag on things so a guy could just compare and kick the tires and walk out.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Greg,

What kind of rates are they telling you. I wold guess you should be somewhere around 150+ gph.

KenWP
05-09-2009, 06:59 PM
What would a used 3x8 evaporator be worth. I found a 3x8 for $1500 bucks and before I pursue it more would like to know if thats within reason or not. The picture of it wasn't all that clear except to see its shiney and black on the bottom.

Oaknut
05-09-2009, 07:52 PM
if it's in good shape it's a deal.

sapman
05-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I see in the Leader catalog, in the Steamaway comparison chart, they say 100 gph. I believe that is with oil firing, and conservative. So with the Inferno, you should be around 140 or so. With the same setup on my 2.5X8 I could get 120 at times with great wood.

I think you can trust Leader's numbers pretty well. They tend to be realistic, or a little conservative, in my experience.

Tim

GregMVT
05-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Brandon,
In the catalog it's saying 100gph. The best I ever did with the 2x6 with the steamaway was 35gph (they claim 42gph in the catalog when I bought it), so it will be a huge time saver.....unless I find more taps!

Greg

syrupkid
05-20-2009, 09:02 PM
i found a used 2x8 with hood and all ameneties except forced air its a 2001 waterloo that will do 50 gph easy the guy wants 4800 for it i could probably talk him down some. is the evap worth the money or not

Joel

13yrs old
been cooking since nine and constantly expanding
2009 season 206 taps 70.5 gallons finished syrup
jd 2320 2 flat pans and pleanty of trees

3rdgen.maple
05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=syrupkid;78197]i found a used 2x8 with hood and all ameneties except forced air its a 2001 waterloo that will do 50 gph easy the guy wants 4800 for it i could probably talk him down some. is the evap worth the money or not

Well tell use what ameneties are with it, What condition is it in? Stainless steelpans? Flue pan or flat pan? Stainless stack? Details young man details.

syrupkid
05-21-2009, 06:33 PM
steam hood, preheater that will bring the sap to about 200 degrees, good condition, raised flue, welded stainless pans, and i forgot to ask about the stack. also comes with all fire brick and archboard

Joel