PDA

View Full Version : Making money on Cream

sapman
05-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I've always read in the catalogs that you can "double" or "triple your money" turning good syrup into cream. Any of you figure you get these kinds of returns? When I do the math, I'd say I'm getting about 1.5X my retail syrup price for cream. Maybe double on smaller containers. I'm probably not charging enough, but don't feel I'd sell any at higher prices around here. I believe I lose about 1/3 of the syrup by reducing it to cream.

Tim

Snow Hill Farm
05-07-2009, 09:09 AM
That's a good question and I was wondering the same thing since I'm considering making some for a farmers market. I have seen the cream around here averaging $10-12 for the 8oz size. If syrup is 11lb/gallon and you loose some during cooking (maybe a pound?) and have 10 lb left that would be 20 x $10 = $200 so it seems worth it. Am I way off with the loss during cooking? I priced the plastic containers and they are just over $1 each. Any tips on making it would be helpful also....

Snow Hill Farm
05-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Sorry Sapman, I just noticed you said you loose a third, didn't expect it was that much. So that would be 7-8 lb and $150 average per gallon I guess.

Father & Son
05-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Guess I need to raise my prices. I sell 1/2 lb for $6.00.

Jim

VtSugarhouse
05-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I take a 40 gallon drum of syrup and make it all into cream for our local fair.
If you start out with a gallon of syrup (11 lbs) you will have 8 lbs of finished product.
Keeping in mind not all syrup will make cream. The invert sugars in some syrup just plainly will not make cream no matter what you do.
Last year we sold 8 oz cream for $8.00 and $14.00 for a lb, at the fair.

Thats what we did.
Good luck!

sapman
05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
I really appreciated Steve Childs seminar at Bascom's last week. Knowing what to expect from your syrup is a great thing. I've still got to pick up the sugar test kit and scale.

Thanks for posting your prices! I was wondering where mine fall. I get $8/8oz., but only $12/lb. I tried $13 last year, and didn't seem to sell as much. Maybe I just need to stick to it, and those who really want it will pay.

ps. My grandmother grew up in East Corinth. She was an Emerson, which I guess is still a common name in those parts.

Thanks,
Tim

KenWP
05-07-2009, 08:14 PM
When you guys talk cream is that what they call Maple Butter up here. From what I read maple butter is hard to make since you have to leave it undisturbed untill the temp lowers enough to stir it untill its thick.

sapman
05-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Yes, Ken, I'm sure we're talking about the same product.  I have known of some to make a butter/syrup blend that they would call maple butter, too.  That was more like a frosting, to me.Tim

danno
05-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey Tim - down the road from you I'm charging the exact same for cream as you. Sold loads of it last season for a couple $ less, but have not sold much yet this year -so I have a freezer full. We'll see.

KenWP
05-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I can't eat butter so the maple butter with butter would be a waste of time around here. I first seen maple butter at the local bakery and asked what it was. I made something close this week but it turned out to be sort of like a sugar spread instead. I actually was trying to get the last of a batch of syrup through the filter and it evaporated a little too much on the top of the wood stove. Sure tastes good if you like thick maple syrup.