PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Shed to Sugar House Conversion

Mac
05-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Hi,
I built this a few years ago then added 16Ft to the Wood shed for my Kubota. Looking to turn it into a Sugar House for Sugaring Season. I ran a 60 amp service to it, but no water. My plan is to cut a door between Tractor shed and wood shed for easy acces to wood. Also looking to put a 20 X 66 on wheels or somthing so I can roll it to one side when I finish for the season. I would appreciate any input. One big question i have is Steam Hood vs Cupola.... I fear witha Cupola.. too much steam will hit my metal roofing and come back down... so I was thinking a steam hood for the back pan... but then what about the steam from the front pan? The Sugar house section is 12 X 16... Again I apreciate any tips... would like to do it right the first time. The Tractor shed goes right up to the wood shed.... not where the break in paint was... (the second coat is on now!!)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Very nice looking sugarhouse. I have all metal roofing and no coupla with steam stacks only and works good for me. One less place to leak and have to maintenance and deal with.

3rdgen.maple
05-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Where I come from a sugarhouse is not a sugarhouse until there is a coupla on the roof. They look cool and stays with the traditional sugarhouse style. If you are worried about the steam in the place run the steam stack in to the coupla. I have a metal roof in mine and people stop by all the time just to hang out in there cause of the steam and smell of sap being boiled. Roof has been on there for 20 years and I see no damage from the steam. Just my opinion if it means anything. I also agree that is a great looking building with a coupla thou it will be a great looking sugarhouse lol.

Mac
05-06-2009, 05:53 PM
3rdgen
I had heard even with a cupola...... steam would condense on the metal roof and "rain down"..... don't know if I can afford the hood and the cupola. I certaintly agree.. I love the looks of a sugar house .... You got me thinkin!!!

brookledge
05-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Mac
I have metal roffing and finally put up 1" rigid insulation between the rafters.
I works real good. I just cut it with a utility knife to fit snuggly.
Keith

3rdgen.maple
05-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Mac it will drip in certain areas for sure but i would definately not call it even close to a rain. You might get dripped on once in awhile but it is not like no matter where you stand in there your gonna get wet. Just make sure the coupla matches the size of the evaporator. Hey give the coupla a shot and save some money up for a steam hood the following year. Just a thought for ya. Either way it is gonna be a nice setup for anyone too be proud of.

Mac
05-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Yup.. I'm going with the Cupola... I figure I boiled outside in the rain this year.... guess I can't get much wetter than that!!! What's the best resource for Cupola design...(how those doors work?)

3rdgen.maple
05-09-2009, 12:33 AM
They are pretty simple to make and I'm sure there are just as many designs as there are sugarhouses. My coupla is the same size as the evaporator. I went with the height being the same as the width of the evaporator. The doors are full length of the coupla and are hinged at the bottom. I bought two double pulleys and atached one to the top of each frame member in the center. I took a length of rope and folded it in half. Ran it through the pulley on the opposite side of the door then attached with eye bolts at each upper corner. I tie the rope off to a cross member above the evaporator. Just untie the rope doors drop open.

tuckermtn
05-09-2009, 04:36 AM
small word of advice...make the cupola oversized if it will fit the proportions of the building...with a 2 x our cupola was fine- now we have a 2.5 x 8 w/ twice the evap rate as the 2 x 6 and it gets pretty wet in there...

Mac
05-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Tuckermtn,
Good advise... the inside of the SH is 12 X 16. Looking to get a 20 X 66 evap. so maybe 2 1/2 x 6 for the cupola?

3rdgen.... I can imagine the different mouse traps out there... I need to do a road trip and get some ideas.
Thanks for the input

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Mac,
Make sure the cupola is high enough too. I prefer to have the sides open to a larger area than is actually open in the roof.

Mac
05-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Thompsons Tree Farm

What would you say for demensions.... 20 x 66 evap, there a pic of my house in the origal post... How high are we takin here?
Thanks

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I think the 2 and 1/2 by 6 is good for the opening in the roof. Gives you some room for expansion without altering it. I'd make the side openings about 18 inches high from the opening to the eave of the cupola.

3rdgen.maple
06-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Mac it has been awhile since this post but was curious how you made out with the coupla. Post some pictures if you got her done.

Mac
06-02-2009, 06:23 AM
3rd gen.. Thanks for the interest.... I will being going forth with the cupola... but getting the ground work done first... Just sold my 2 x 3, ordered my maple Pro 20 x 66, and will be pouring a concrete floor in the S/H first... then building a shelf inside the right bay of the S/H for a 260 gall S/S tank. I will post some pics.... My life seems to be getting in the way of all the stuff I want to do!!
Mac

3rdgen.maple
06-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Sounds like you got it all planned out. Wait till you fire that rig up in a sugarhouse You are never gonna want to come out for air. Yep it is funny how life gets in the way of fun.