PDA

View Full Version : Not quite syrup

Melody Bee Farms
05-04-2009, 07:52 AM
I am buying some syrup locally in barrells and I tested the syrup with a refractometer, it tests out at 64. I am wondering first how much water I need to remove and second how much to pay them for the syrup. Any Ideas THANKS

Jim Brown
05-04-2009, 08:17 AM
When buying syrup AlWAYS purchase by the pound. That way if it is syrup you are Ok if it is not syrup you are still Ok. I don't know what your area is paying for syurp,ours in this are are down on the lower grades but the upper grades are still holding.

Jim

Melody Bee Farms
05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
If its not syrup I am just buying water weight right?

Haynes Forest Products
05-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Yup.Why didnt they finish it down all the way? Are you buying light colored syrup that is thinner? what color will it be when its done ? I have made more than my share of mistakes when it comes to selling what I thought was 5 gallons of syrup. Some barrels have a line at the 55 gallon mesurment. 5 gallon buckets hold 6 gallons if filled to the top so weight is the way to go.
I have Inlaws in Rockford I often wonder about sugering in that area.

Melody Bee Farms
05-04-2009, 09:22 AM
They thought the syrup was done. It should be med to dark amber when done. I have to finish the syrup off and am wondering how much a pound I should pay. We normally make a Quart of syrup per tap, last year was a half gallon, this year, just over a pint

KenWP
05-04-2009, 11:22 AM
What does the syrup test with a hydrometer taking in the fact its cold. If you buy by the pound it will compensate for the extra water in the syrup as thin syrup weighs less per volume then correct syrup.

Russell Lampron
05-04-2009, 11:26 AM
When I was at Bascom's Saturday they were paying $2/lb for unfiltered commercial. I would offer that or less. You have the additional cost of finishing and filtering it not to mention the time involved. You also won't know the grade of the finished product until it is done.

brookledge
05-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Or you could tell them you will pay them the going rate once they boil it to the correct density otherwise you will pay them less since you need to finish it for them
Keith

Mark
05-05-2009, 07:35 AM
If you were buying syrup that is 2 brix thick you would have to add 5.08 fluid ounces of water per gallon to thin it out, but you are going the other way. I don't know if the numbers are exact in the other direction.
Don't believe anyone that says you are ok when buying buy weight.
Find someone that does not understand that and buy the same amount of syrup that is 2 brix thick and mix it.