PDA

View Full Version : First in 2005

powerdub
01-05-2005, 07:32 PM
One of my buddies brought me some syrup tonight that he made from two buckets he put out. It was not too sweet and dark. Very bland.

syrupmaker
01-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Rumor has it that some guys south of us are getting the jitters and have tapped already. Don't hold me to it yet, Gonna take a ride tommorrow and see whats hanging around the highways and maybe talk to one or two.

Rick

backyardsugarer
01-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Rick,

How far south? That is amazing. It looks like we are going to get a nice cold snap starting on Thursday. If you tap now, won't the holes start to fill in and heal by the time the real season hits?
Chris

syrupmaker
01-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Supposed to be around the area of Fredonia,Silver Creek. About 35-40 miles south of me. No way are we tapping yet, the thought hadn't even been to tap a couple test buckets. We are waiting till our traditional Feb. 21st or there abouts depending on weather. And yes it is supposed to get cold for next week, even down towards that southern most syrupmaker. :wink: It's still early enough to get colder than the dickens and snow like a blizzard with Lake Erie still opened up.

Rick

pegjam
01-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Well I certainly haven't tapped yet!!! Thought about it, but still have to much other stuff to get done first, like putting lines back up. Weather supposed to turn off cold and snowy in mid Feb, with lots of snow through the end of March. If this weather continues warm, we might not have much of a season anyway. :cry: :cry: :cry:

pegjam
Hope it helps, can't hurt.

01-11-2005, 09:19 AM
I think it is going to be a great season, the beer is cold and the buckets are clean. I am tapping the last week of February no matter what happens with the weather. It is snowing now and after a brief warm up we are getting an artic blast for the weekend. Hopefully it will last for 8 weeks.

Chris