PDA

View Full Version : Installing blower on smaller arch?

sterling gold
05-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I have an old Grimm 2x6 wood fired arch and want to install a blower fan...which fan should I get and has anyone ever installed a fan on this type of arch? Thanks!

caseyssugarshack93
05-03-2009, 06:41 PM
I put a wood furnace cage blower on my 2x6 it works pretty good

SPILEDRIVER
05-05-2009, 09:45 PM
boiled on a 2x6 grimm for years.we just made a flange that fit the front of the arch beneath the door and put a cage blower on it,wasnt hi-tech but made a big difference,had to retire it this last year and am in the process of building a new one.

Jerome
05-06-2009, 05:13 AM
I use the blower from a power vented water heater. Find who rents tanks in your area and get one off a old tank they exchanged before it goes for scrap.

KenWP
05-06-2009, 06:53 AM
I think Ontario is the only place they lease furnaces and water heaters is it not. I plan on stealing one of the old fans that used to inflate the ceiling of the greenhouse to put on a arch. I don't heat the greenhouse anymore so inflateing the ceiling isn't done anymore.

sterling gold
05-06-2009, 07:19 AM
boiled on a 2x6 grimm for years.we just made a flange that fit the front of the arch beneath the door and put a cage blower on it,wasnt hi-tech but made a big difference,had to retire it this last year and am in the process of building a new one.

Great, so instead of cutting into the back of the arch, you installed it where the draft control is? I was looking at that as an option, but thought it was going to get in the way of loading. I have a variety of fans from which to choose, and if blasting in from the front is the best way, it will only be a matter of some custom duct work.

SPILEDRIVER
05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
yep just stuck a flange to it the had a 4"collar for a piece of 4"stove pipe that just slipped over the collar.just pulled it off and set it to the side when loading,only takes a second to move and replace.lo tech and cheap but it worked.

greaves sugar shake
10-10-2013, 08:17 PM
I plumbed in my blower threw the back blowing towards the front door it worked good but I wonder if I should change it to the front but in the back I thought blowing the heat forward would be better. so help me out witch way should I put the blower.. I got my blower off a small out side furnace :?: thanks

750 taps on vacum
142 gallons last year
on 30"x10' arch and use
a kioti dk45 and my dogs

Wanabe1972
10-10-2013, 08:26 PM
I had a small homebuilt barrel arch with 2x3 pan and used. A small squirrel cage blower right in the draft door. Just run a reostat on it and on off switch can be handy for firing.

maple flats
10-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I run my AUF (air under fire) in thru the back, laying right on the floor, I only need to clean off ashes about once every 3-4 days or maybe 15-20 hrs. I connected it to a 4" stove pipe, stopped about 4" in from the door, and drilled 3 rows of holes, 1/4" spaced about 3" apart, one row top center and the side rows each faced the outside of that side of the grates. It works just fine. (however, I use a high pressure blower to run that along with my AOF, all off 1 high pressure blower)