PDA

View Full Version : Adding on to filter press?

gmcooper
05-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Has any one here added another set of plates on to a fllter press? I checked in at Bascoms about it today. David and Liz said i could but that WesFab didn't recommend it. Think it was $140 for one set. That one extra set would give me 33% more capacity which is needed. BTW I have the 7" short bank.
Mark

Haynes Forest Products
05-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Why My short stack is no differant than the long bank same frame same pump+motor. You can drop in 1 more set of plates before you need to go to longer bolts. That give me an idea why not get a used long bank and part it out. Lets see the pump is worth $450.00 to $600 10 sets of plates $140.00 each motor is worth $150.00 and then you have the $150.00 bypass valve scrap out the aluminum end plates.

maplecrest
05-03-2009, 08:05 AM
sell the one you have, it is worth what you paid for it and shop around and get what you want

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I added another set to my Lapierre press a couple of years ago and now it has four sets instead of 3 and gives me more capacity. I belive I could add another set if I wanted too as the bolts appear to be long enough, but I haven't measured it out and won't likely bother with it.

Brad W Wi
05-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I called WesFab a few years back about adding to mine and was told " No problem" They would sell me the parts I needed for it. Just give them a call about it.

maple flats
05-04-2009, 08:09 PM
I think Bascom's wanted to sell you a bigger one. I checked for my Lapierre and was told I could add 2 more sets without changing the bolts. After that I could change to longer bolts. Based on the price of added plates i would decide which is cheaper, adding the needed plates (and bolts if needed) or selling it and buy a larger one already set up. If you just need a little more likely an added set of plates and maybe 2 sets would be cheaper, if more is needed you might be better off selling and buy bigger. Remember, buying parts is way more expensive that buying new. Consider the price of a p/u truck. New it might be 30,000 but to build from parts might add up to 4 or 5 times that or even more.

gmcooper
05-04-2009, 09:30 PM
When i get a chance I will give Wes Fab a call to see if they will sell me a set.
Most of the time I can get by with the short bank but adding one set will certainly help out. I am not sure I really need a full bank but will check out the difference before making a decision.
Mark

sapman
05-04-2009, 11:09 PM
It seems to me like you must in the ballpark to need a full bank press. Since running 700 taps last year, and more this year, I've had nights when I make 40-50 gallons of syrup. I think the range they recommend on a full bank is 15-60 gal. filtering capacity, depending on how much solids in suspension. So I'm surprised you've gotten by with a short bank!

All the best,
Tim