PDA

View Full Version : insulateing a new arch

SPILEDRIVER
05-01-2009, 05:45 PM
i started boiling years ago on a old grimm 2x6 with tin pans and its original arch.well the old steamer is worn out and falling apart,been resoldered and rebuilt one to many times.
im going to build a custom job this summer,ive allready got the blowers and firebox,im going to see a man tommorrow about custom built pans.
my question is how do you go about insulateing the arch itself? ive done the fire box bricking befor but never bothered with the arch.gonna do this up rite for max output/biggest bang for the buck.
ceramiic blanket?brick?board?...........dos the blanket have to be covered in a wood arch?
ANY and ALL input would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Bucket Head
05-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm pretty happy with the ceramic blanket insulation and some fire bricks to protect it. The blanket on the door is unprotected though. I just make sure the wood is in far enough before I shut the door. No problems. Take a look at my photobucket pictures. Look in the modifications album. Good luck with it!

Steve

WF MASON
05-02-2009, 03:54 AM
You can get a 1/4" blanket/board , it can be rolled up for shipping, but it will crack a little bit , so its not really blanket, 12sf covers the sides of the firebox and the sides of the slant going up. I think the brick lay in on it better becouse it isn't so thick as blanket. Check with your local refactory dealer.