PDA

View Full Version : Question for NY Maple Producers

RUSTYBUCKET
05-01-2009, 04:17 PM
In the most recent issue of the Maple News, I read the article that contained the following link;

http://www.orps.state.ny.us/pamphlet/exempt/agassess.htm

My situation is this. I produce syrup from my sugarbush which is sold at market through a local farmer / friend. The amount of syrup produced is small peanuts, 20-25 gallons, but the potential is there for 200-250 taps. As noted in the above link, in reference to renting my property to this farmer, I'm wondering if I could meet the letter of the law to qualify for ag assessment. For those that have their sugarbushes under ag assessment, care to share your thoughts on this issue? Is there someone from NYMPA that I could contact? I have not yet discussed this with my local assessor as I would like to approach his office with a much better background than I currently have.

No hidden agenda here folks, I'm seeking alternatives to help reduce my current tax liability.

Thanks

Russ

twobears1224
05-01-2009, 05:10 PM
my dad gets some type of tax break on his sugarbush/sugarhouse.. i,ll print this off and see if it,s how he does it and get back to you.

delbert

cncaboose
05-02-2009, 07:33 AM
To qualify for ag assessment your property has to produce $10000 worth of ag products annually by itself OR be part of a larger operation which does produce over $10000 of ag products. My operation only produced 88 gallons this year BUT my bush is part of a larger parcel, part of which is tillable ground that is rented out and grows crops each year putting it over the $10000 limit. To do the whole thing you have to take a copy of the county tax map showing your parcel to the local USDA office for land evaluation and then file form with the town assessors office. Deadline is March 30 of any given year or it won't go into effect for another year. Your area USDA office can give you more details.

RUSTYBUCKET
05-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Thank you gentlemen. Ian, to qualify I would most likely have a situation similar to yours in that I would rent the property to the farmer. The sales of syrup coupled with the sales from his other farming activities would meet the ag assessment requirements, at least that is the plan. Have you run into any drawbacks in doing this?

Russ

twobears1224
05-03-2009, 10:56 PM
i showed my dad that and it,s not what he gets.. he just gets a break on the sugarhouse assessment they assess the sugarhouse giving it a value and take that amount of tax off his tax bill. he talked to our town assessor and learned about it.

delbert

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Two Bears,
Was the sugar house a new construction? New buildings constructed for commercial production purposes (ie all farm related buildings) are entitled to a 10 year exemption in Real Estate taxes in NY.

twobears1224
05-04-2009, 04:52 AM
thompson.yes it is new.he built it last year.

delbert

PS:thompson:i,am not to far from ya..i,am in harrisville.

maple flats
05-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know the exact part of the law for NY that exempts the building for 10 years? I built my sugarhouse and the taxes went up every year as a result. They even assessed the building for more than i paid because it would have cost more to hire it built. I think I need a copy or item number to get the assessment reduced and get a tax rebate on taxes paid after being billed in error.

RUSTYBUCKET
05-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Maple Flats

Do a search on NYS Office of Real Property Section 483.

Try this:

http://www.orps.state.ny.us/assessor/manuals/vol4/part2/section4.08/sec483.htm

Russ