PDA

View Full Version : Half Pint dimensions

stoweski
05-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

Decided to get into sugaring for next season and have been on the lookout for an evaporator. Came across a Leader Half-Pint for a very good price and am going to be picking it up, 3-1/2 hours away, on Sunday.

Before I head up with my SUV I was wondering if anyone has one and could pass along the dimensions of it. I would like not to have to bring my trailer up there if it will fit in my truck. I have a 6' x 4' opening that is 34" tall. I was hoping to turn it on it's side to get it in. Does anyone see a problem with the opening or with tipping it on it's side? Are there any other things I should be concerned with as far as transporting it?

I've been lurking on here reading all of the info and realize that many people upgrade shortly after obtaining a 1/2 pint but compared to $1000 or more this was a bargain. Oh, pan is not warped or scorched. It is the older model but based on speaking with the people and on picts looks to be in very good condition.

Thanks for any input!
Keith

Sundown
05-01-2009, 07:18 PM
41.5 High, 36 deep and 24.5 wide. If you can take the fire brick out the rest is just sheet metal, maybe 50#. With the fire brick in, you can't lay it down and it's big time heavy. If you have seen my recent post, I'm looking for a picture of the half-pint pan baffleing. If this one is older it may be the unbaffled batch pan. That is what I'm using now although my pan is home made. The stove works real good. I usually put in 60-70 taps and can keep up pretty well boiling nights and weekends. I would guess I'm evaporating 6-7 gallons/hour. On a good day I can produce 1.5 gallons of syrup. I'm looking into building a continuous process,baffled pan. I hope to retire soon and will have the time to watch the boil all day long. Until then my batch process works real good.

stoweski
05-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the info. That's perfect. No need for a trailer and an extra fill up. Based on the picts I didn't expect it to be that big. I may end up spending some extra time there removing the firebrick and loading it in the truck but at least I won't have something following me for the whole ride home.

Oh, a pict of the evap is attached.

Thanks again!
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Congrats on your new find and purchase, bet next year can't come fast enough now!!!

BarrelBoiler
05-02-2009, 05:39 AM
looks good that is just what we have been using over the past few years

the stove is made out of a 55 gal drum probably 33 inches long by 26 +/- inches wide how high depends on the legs made alot of syrup on one even have new barrel to replace the current one

have fun