PDA

View Full Version : Leader Half-Pint Pan

Sundown
04-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm looking at building a copy of the leader half-pint pan and am looking for someone who has one and could provide me with a picture of the baffling, in particular what size and shape the flow passages are. Also, I have seen pictures of these pans built with either 2 baffles or 3 baffles. Which would be better? I'm not trying to rip off Leader here, but I have the half-pint stove that I have been using my old batch pan on and I have the equipment and skill to build the new pan myself. You can PM me with Whatever info you may have.

BarrelBoiler
04-30-2009, 04:49 PM
if you have the skills it is realy quite simple. You wil want 2 or 3(your choice) dividers 6-8 inches high running front to back of your pan, with a 3 to 4 inch triangle out of one bottom corner. put the dividers in so the sap has to snake around to where you draw off the near syrup.

in other words if you put sap in the lefthand rear corner the sap moves to the lefthand front corner and finds the triangle so it flows to the next sectionand is forced to flow to the back of the pan to the next triangle around the corner and back to the front.

my old lighting pan had two dividers, 3sections to boil, some pans have 3dividers and 4 sections as i have only used one with 3 sections i really can't say which is better

could you put dividers in your current pan?

that's my nickles worth have fun:)

Sundown
04-30-2009, 07:56 PM
The pan I have now is mild steel and I want to go to stainless. I understand the continuous flow method, I am just unsure about the size and shape (round,square,triangle) of the baffle passages. Are two baffles (3 divisions) enough, and can I tack them in or should I weld them continuous?

Dan W
05-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Sundown, I have a 4 chamber Half Pint. I will get you some measurements over the weekend.

Sundown
05-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks Dan. Any measurments or pics you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get going on it soon so I have it for next spring!!!

Dan W
05-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Sundown, Like I said, my pan has 3 dividers. I don't know why Leader went to only 2-maybe to cut costs. But anyhow, the hole in the center one is about 3.5x3.5 and there is a vertically slidind door type of thing that you can use to close the center hole. It doesn't really seal at the bottom so I don't know what it's purpose is but I always leave it open. The holes in the oyher 2 dividers are 3.5 high x 4.5 long. This is the only pan I have ever used but you would think with 3 dividers it would be easier to maintain a gradient than with 2 I don't know. Hope this helps! Dan.

Sundown
05-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks Dan. That's the info I needed. I think I would make all three the same size. I don't see the need to gate off the pan into two sections. Do you recall if the dividers are welded in with a continuous weld or just spotted?

Dan W
05-04-2009, 03:09 PM
The bottom and sides of my pan seems to be made from one piece of stainless. It is soldered by the way. The dividers are bent up and down just like a raised flue but they are like crimped together at the top so the metal is really double thickness for the dividers. When making your dividers, I would weld them continuous so the sap can't travel between chambers under the dividers.