PDA

View Full Version : Using multiple pumps

Russ
01-04-2005, 09:46 PM
We got a good deal on two Surge 30 vacuum pumps. Perhaps the reason why is that one is only pulling 11 HG and the other 16 HG. We have another vac pump that can pull 23HG; it's drive motor has a two-belt pulley. My brother currently has it set up to drive the 23 Hg pump and the 16 Hg pump.

He wants to use this two-pump system in a woods where we have two sections of vacuum lines, totalling approximately 600 taps. We're planning on using the gravity releaser that I described in another forum (picture is in my personal album), so we would be running both sections as one system. Is there any way to use the two pumps with differing performance in a way that is better than just using the one? I'm pretty sure you don't want to run them in series, but does it make sense to run them in parallel both into the same vacuum tank? Should we the 16 HG for our vac boosters in the woods and let the better one do the long hauls and heavy lifting? We've used vacuum for several years with mixed results; we really need to get better at this.

brookledge
01-04-2005, 10:19 PM
I would think that the pump that can only pull 11" would not do you any good with the other one in a parallel set up. If it is worn that bad when the pump that can pull 23", will pull air backwards through the weaker one. Something like a tug a war. Why can't you rebuild the worn one? Could be just a bad seal. Another thing you said one motor is driving two pumps. Unless the HP is large enough like 5HP (or maybe bigger) one motor is not enough. Personally I would not use the 11" for anything. Unless it can be rebuilt. They recommend 20" at the pump and upper teens out on the laterals. What I have recomended to others is that you set up a vac. gauge with a piece of rubber hose and go out in the woods an test your system when the sap is flowing good. Pull a tap out and see what you have for vac. this will help to see where you need to make improvements. I have been using vacuum for years and with a good system you can get a half gal of syrup per tap. Where as others struggle to make a quart per tap.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Post Edited

pegjam
01-05-2005, 08:45 AM
I would think that you'd be better off using one pump. Even if you hooked the weaker pump to the dry line you'd still only pull 11" at the end of the mainlines, not quite enough. But I'm still having problems with vacuum so who am I to say. I'm hoping this new conde pump takes care of those problems without creating any more. Hope it helps, can't hurt! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pegjam