PDA

View Full Version : Removing moss from roofing?

MainelyMaple
04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of some of the moss taking over the roof of my old sugarhouse? is there anything i can spray to kill it? bleach? thanks

maplecrest
04-27-2009, 07:32 PM
a bleach and water solution the moss will get slimy and shiney then rinse with water.

peacemaker
04-27-2009, 07:35 PM
is it slate shingles tin ?

Clan Delaney
04-27-2009, 08:02 PM
My brother clued me in to the use of zinc strips. Here's a sample website (http://www.zincshield.com/home.html) of a company that sells them. The zinc slowly corrodes as it's rained on, and the zinc ions kill existing mold and other roof crud, and inhibits further growth. In the meantime, that bleach solution will do just fine.

PerryW
04-27-2009, 09:23 PM
I have some really cool looking moss growing on the flatter section of roof on my sugarhouse and I kinda like it. It looks like alpine tundra.

gmcooper
04-27-2009, 10:11 PM
As clan says the zinc strips work. We install them mostly on camps in wooded lots near lakes or ponds where the moss tends to grow really well. The zinc really does work just need to install it properly so enough of it is exposed. The bleach will work temporary.

KenWP
04-27-2009, 10:33 PM
I have in the greenhouse many bottles of moss remover. You mix it with water and spray it on wall and wood work and rooks to remove moss. I will get the name of it tomorrow.

michiganfarmer
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
My brother clued me in to the use of zinc strips. Here's a sample website (http://www.zincshield.com/home.html) of a company that sells them. The zinc slowly corrodes as it's rained on, and the zinc ions kill existing mold and other roof crud, and inhibits further growth. In the meantime, that bleach solution will do just fine.

verey interesting

Roads End
04-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Another old time method was to use a lime box along the ridge to change the ph. this acts like the zinc and prevents further growth but needs to be refreshed more often. Refresh timing depend on hole size in the box and how much rain fell in the year