PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 Maplepro proffesional model

Tapmealot
04-26-2009, 08:28 PM
it says that this evaporator can handle up to 450 taps. anyone with this is this true? how do you like this evaporator? it looked nice to me but just wana know your thoughts on this one

Bucket Head
04-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Are you a "full time" syrup maker? If not, you will be.

450 taps is a lot for that size rig unless you have an RO or steamaway to help things along.

I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying you will be boiling a very long time. Maybe some others on here with similar tap totals and evaporator sizes can chime in and share their boiling times.

Steve

3rdgen.maple
04-26-2009, 10:11 PM
I think the big question is are you running vac. or on buckets. I had almost 400 taps on buckets and the 2x6 kept up just fine. It was a poor year for me though and I would of liked to boil alot more. It all depends on If you are solo, how much time you can invest in boiling. I was averaging 40 gallons per hour evaporation rate with my rig. So figure out how many taps you want, estimate a couple gallons per tap (just incase) per day, Divide all that by 40 and it should give you a worst case idea of how much boil time you will have. You are not gonna get the 2 gallon per tap everyday if your running buckets. Oh and how much storage you have will effect you too. If you don't have enough and have to boil everyday it might get old fast. If you have the storage you can hold it a few days and boil when time is less of a factor. I personally like being behind a little instead of looking at empty tanks and waiting to boil. It is all based on how much time you have to invest during the sugar season. Estimate everything on the extreme side and if you find you are ahead of the game just add more taps till you are comfortable.