PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 5"X30" Parker-Hannifin piston

Parker
04-26-2009, 05:42 AM
Friday I blew the guts out of my splitter piston on my wood processor..THe piston is a Parker Hannifin 5"x30" Trunion mount piston,,I will try to get a pic of it posted and Ill post the model# and serial#,,,originally it was on a Forestall woodprocessor (they later became CMC),,,last time it was rebuilt I was told it was the end of the line for this piston....I am going to rip it apart and see what failed,,,BUT,, I want to find another as a spare,,,the piston has 2 -1' ports on each endblock ,,,,the way I built my processor it would be pretty time consuming to put an end mount piston in the spot where this trunion mount is located,,,,,Thanks,,Parker

KenWP
04-26-2009, 07:02 AM
What happens when you go to a Parker Hannifin dealer and ask for a new piston. I built hydraulic presses for many years and dealt with them a lot.

Parker
04-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Last time I priced this piston new it was $3700,(dosent seem possibel?),,,seems kinda steep to me,,,would like to find one a lot cheaper than that.....

KenWP
04-26-2009, 08:32 AM
I have a catolog of cylinders here but I need a picture of it to maybe match up.

Haynes Forest Products
04-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Now I have a NH joke $3,700.00 for a cylinder. For that kind of money why cant you modify some mountings. 5X30 Prince welded ends $549.00 What are you doing that causes that much shock that your blowing the piston seal? Or did the rod seperate from piston? Do you have a WORKING buypass valve.

Parker
04-26-2009, 09:59 AM
The opperating pressure of the piston is 5000psi,,my pump puts out about 3300psi,,the bypass press. is set at 3200 psi,,I really dont want to spend the time cutting the processor apart and welding in eyepad mounts for a piston,,,length is also an issue......I will tear the piston apart monday and see what happend,taking this piston apart is a pretty diffuclt, time consuming job,,I would like to find a spare so I could have a littel breathing room when this happens next time...........

wdchuck
04-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Hey parker- there's a guy up in Littletonwith a HUGE shop who works on that kind of stuff- for less than 3700 I bet he could build you a copy of your original.

tuckermtn
04-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Parker- who did you have rebuild it last time?

you could try http://www.nh-hydraulics.com/

or P B and H over on the other side of hillsboro- they might be able to do a search for a used one...

-eric

maplecrest
04-26-2009, 03:44 PM
parker there is a place in rutland that is a hydo place cassela hydraulics. they fixed piston for me that would have cost big bucks. i bet they can fix it.802 747 6352. give them a call and tell them about it and see what they say

brookledge
04-26-2009, 09:30 PM
I have a older model wood splitter that I somehow bent the piston a little and of course it wasn't long before it caused the seals to leak.
I called the salesman from New Hampshire Hydraulics and he picked it up and brought it in so I could get an estimate. It was alittle more than buying a new cylinder like a prince but then I would have had to modify alot to get it to fit.
So I had them fix it and it has worked perfectly since
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
04-26-2009, 10:54 PM
After seeing the pressures that Parker is using I understand the cost factor. Heavy equipment and things like HiRangers they use higher pressures and that sends the cost of everything sky high. I built a dump trailer using 2 free Cat 5X36 rams and its slow but I can lift the world. They will last forever.

Parker
04-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Wdchk- do you know the fellows name in Littelton?
Thanks for the leads,,I have some phone calls to make this A.M.,,,will see what the options are,,,Parker

wdchuck
04-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Parker- it's North Country Hydraulics in the Littleton Industrial Park. Owner- Steve Moscicki...............I had your basic 26" splitter that needed a basic rebuild and while I was there shooting the bull while he did the work, he told me he could build from scratch just about anything made- he's got a complete machine shop,,,,,,,,,,,,,603-444-0363...Good Luck!

royalmaple
05-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Here's the pictures.

http://www.diecastwarehouse.com/shearhead11.JPG

http://www.diecastwarehouse.com/shearhead12.JPG

Haynes Forest Products
05-04-2009, 09:26 AM
GEEZ Parker doesnt your left foot hurt I have the same $17.00 pair of Walmart shoes and thats a big chunk missing OUCH. Well loking at the picture I dont see any oil blown out the rod seal so you say its blown? If the piston seal is blown and the cylinder walls are not scored or bulged Im thinking your in good shape. Are you sure you dont have a pressure relief problem some high pressure cylinders have internal valving. What does the 2nd port on the end plate feed could that be the problem.

KenWP
05-04-2009, 10:57 AM
When you take it apart what do you find wrong with it. If the shaft is not scored and the inside of the cylinder is okay try and contact a dealer for parts and put it back together again. I can find a similiar cylinder in a catolog here that has a simple base sleeve attachment. So you would have to buy a 32 inch cylinder and grind off the base and get the same length to fit. If I can find them here they must be around down in the great PX someplace.

Parker
05-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Haneys,,you cant see the rod seal in those pics,,it is on the other end of the cylinder, as for the 2 ports-there are 2-1" ports on each end of the piston and I have a 46GPM section of my pump that just runs the piston,,nothing ealse,,big pressure and big flow=fast, strong splitter,,lots of oil and pressure,,last time I had the piston apart I did not see any internal valving??
I could not get the block that attaches to the splitter push plate off the threaded end of the rod,so I brought the cylinder to the fellow that rebuilt it last time (it did last 5 years and 1000's of cords),,,really just want to find a spare now,,,we are working up the 100 cords by hand and I am not 21 anymore.......