PDA

View Full Version : Rear of Flue Pan

SeanD
04-24-2009, 10:49 PM
The sheet of stainless arrived today for my future flue pan. After planning and thinking about this thing for weeks, it's only after the steel arrives that something occurs to me.

How does the back of the flue pan make an air-tight seal on the evaporator? The plan I'm going to follow has the flues flush with the front and back of the pan, so the flues are the same length as the pan. The sides will sit on gasket on the rail. In the front, ceramic blanket will seal up the space between the two pans, but what happens in the back if there is no shoulder in the back of the pan to sit on the top of the evaporator?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

WF MASON
04-25-2009, 03:25 AM
It'll look just like the front of the pan , blanket will fill the space between the pan and collar.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-25-2009, 06:55 AM
As Bill Mason said, the back don't have to be sealed, you can even have a gap back there and watch the flames shooting thru unless you have an airtight arch or a blower on it and then reason to seal it off good with ceramic blanket or something like that.

SeanD
04-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Phew! I like that answer. Thanks!

Haynes Forest Products
04-25-2009, 10:49 AM
SeanD If im reading you post right your going to push the flupan up against the finish pan and that will seal the flames from the flus escaping but the flames could scorch the finish pan because the direct heat to the side. You would need to run the sap/syrup in the finish pan higher than the flues.

I home I understand your quwstion Plus why not take a snall sheet of SS and wall off the ends for strength and making it air tight?

SeanD
04-25-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure I understand. I'm making a drop flue, so the flat bottoms of both pans will be on the same level sitting on the rails of the evaporator. The two pans will press together with insulation between.

What ends are you saying to wall off?

Sean

3rdgen.maple
04-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Sean you are good to go with that design. The drop flues on my pan is flush and there is a gasket with a peice of flat metal in the middle of the gasket that holds it from dropping in the arch. The back of the arch next to the stack has a raised lip where you put another gasket with the metal in it between the pan and that lip. Just be precise in your measurements so you have space for the gaskets. Measure twice and cut in the middle.