PDA

View Full Version : Depth of pans

MartinP
04-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Started last year with 10 taps and turkey cooker, this year 20 taps and 4 steam table pan now for next year I am making a 2' x 4' pan and a 2' x 2' for finishing. What would be a good depth to make the pans? I was thinking about 12".
Material is not an issue as I just purchased a 4' x 2' x 22' SS range hood from an auction. Any help will be apprecaited.

Bucket Head
04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Twelve inches seems a little tall if they are just going to be flat pans. My flat pans, before I modified them, were nine inches tall and that seemed a little high.

Do you ever plan on putting flues in the bigger pan or dividers (channels) in the syrup pan? If so, yu want to have enough height for them. I had to extend my rear pan after adding flues. Take a look at my photos and you'll see the original pans, and the modifications.

Good luck!

Steve

MartinP
04-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Flues in the big pan I know would increase evap rate. I have never seen a flue pan so don't quite know how to go about making one. I only get to boil on weekends as trees are 2 hours away, so I have been batch boiling. With flues can you start and stop.??
Thank you,
Martin

Fred Henderson
04-24-2009, 06:59 AM
Nine inch outsides is a good height. If putting any dividers inside then 6" would be good.

MartinP
04-24-2009, 08:07 PM
We will be putting dividers in at some point. Will it cause any problems with higher sides wonce dividers are in.? Does any one have any close up pics of how to make flue pan.? I would like to have a 2x4 flue pan with 2x2 divided pan.
My 4 steam table pans I was evap about 5 gal per hour. Mede 7 3/4 gal this year and am hoping that the new pans will do a lot better.
Any help is appreciated.
Martin